NEW YORK--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Bloomberg announced today that it will host the Bloomberg State & Municipal Finance Conference in New York on November 6, in partnership with The New York State Conference of Mayors and Municipal Officials (NYCOM) and The Municipal Bond Club of New York.
“During this conference, attendees will gain insights on important issues that face state and municipal governments in 2014 and what factors might affect them.”
Public-sector policy makers, pension fund managers, institutional investors and issuers will examine the current economic restructuring and revival across states and municipalities and its impact on the $3.7 trillion US municipal-bond market. Experts will convene at the full-day conference, held at the Cutting Room, to examine issues central to state and municipal finance and provide investors with information needed to evaluate opportunities in the municipal bond market.
Speakers will debate opportunities in distressed credits for 2014, the outlook for issuance and defaults, and the impact of the Affordable Care Act on states, hospitals and healthcare. They will also evaluate situations in specific states and municipalities, including Detroit’s ongoing restructuring, Puerto Rico’s record high borrowing costs; Illinois’s $100 billion in unfunded liabilities; what’s driving California’s comeback; and key lessons learned from Michigan, Rhode Island, Philadelphia and Harrisburg.
“This year saw a modest increase in municipal bond issuance and improvements in cities that are slowly recovering from the financial crisis,” said Robert Bierman, head of Bloomberg LINK. “During this conference, attendees will gain insights on important issues that face state and municipal governments in 2014 and what factors might affect them.”
Key speakers include:
- Melba Acosta, Secretary of the Treasury Department, Chief Public Financial Officer, Government of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- Gregory B. Carey, Chairman, Public Sector and Infrastructure Group, Goldman Sachs
- David Chafey, Chairman, Board of Director, Government Development Bank of Puerto Rico, Government of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- Robert P. Cochran, Managing Director and Chairman of the Board, Build America Mutual Assurance Company
- Lyle Fitterer, Managing Director, Head of Tax-Exempt Fixed Income, Wells Capital Management
- George Friedlander, Managing Director and Chief Municipal Strategist, Citigroup Inc.
- General Bill Lynch, Receiver, Office of the Receiver for the City of Harrisburg
- Jack Markell, Governor, State of Delaware
- Mary Miller, Acting Deputy Secretary; Undersecretary: Domestic Finance, U.S. Department of Treasury
- Triet Nguyen, Managing Partner, Axios Advisors
- John E. Nixon, Director, State Budget Office and Department of Technology, Management and Budget (DTMB), State of Michigan
- Gabriel J. Petek, CFA, Senior Director, US Public Finance, Standard & Poor's
- Gil C. Quiniones, President and CEO, New York Power Authority
- Nancy E. Winkler, Treasurer, City of Philadelphia
The conference is sponsored by Assured Guaranty, Build American Mutual (BAM), DIVER by Lumesis, Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services and United Water.
For more information on the program and speakers, please visit: http://www.bloomberglink.com/events/munis-2013/
For more information on Bloomberg, please visit http://www.bloomberg.com/about.
About Bloomberg LINK
Bloomberg LINK, the executive conference arm of Bloomberg LP, leverages the resources of a global news and information organization to convene events that break news and generate content in live and digital forums. The LINK portfolio focuses on business, technology, finance and world affairs. Since its creation in 2009, LINK has hosted more than 140 events in 14 countries. For more information, please visit www.bloomberglink.com, on the Bloomberg Professional service at LINK <GO> or via Twitter @BBGLink.
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company’s strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 315,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg’s enterprise solutions build on the company’s core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government, Bloomberg New Energy Finance and Bloomberg BNA, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through the Bloomberg Professional service, television, radio, mobile, the Internet and three magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek, Bloomberg Markets and Bloomberg Pursuits, covers the world with more than 2,400 news and multimedia professionals at more than 150 bureaus in 73 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 15,000 people in 192 locations around the world.