PHILADELPHIA--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Julius Erving and his wife Dorys today announced the launch of the Dorys Erving Fit Youth (DEFY) Foundation. The Foundation will provide a platform for addressing the epidemic of childhood obesity in the Philadelphia metropolitan area through education, enhancing access to nutritional foods, and encouraging physical activity.
“The goal of DEFY is to provide these children with tools and programs to stand up and make a positive impact on childhood obesity in their community and their own bodies.”
“Childhood obesity has become a significant health epidemic in the Philadelphia area, particularly among children raised in low-income households,” said Dorys Erving, Founder, President and Director of DEFY. “The goal of DEFY is to provide these children with tools and programs to stand up and make a positive impact on childhood obesity in their community and their own bodies.”
The Foundation will officially launch with an Inaugural Celebration on Friday, November 15, 2013 at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia. The star-studded evening will include a reception and silent auction. Celebrities scheduled to join Dorys and Julius Erving include Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Marsha Ambrious, Richard Dent, Clyde Drexler, Cedric the Entertainer, Stedman Graham, Victor Green, Bernard Hopkins, Jeffrey Osborne, Bill Russell and others to be announced.
Sponsorships and tickets are available for the event and range from $30,000 to $500 (individual ticket). For more information about sponsorship and ticket information, please contact Lisa Young at Lisa@DorysErvingFitYouthFoundation.org or 310.722.1590. Limited space is available.
According to CDC research, 25% of school age children in Philadelphia are considered medically obese. As a result, these children can experience both immediate and long-term health consequences, including high blood pressure and high cholesterol, which are risk factors for cardiovascular disease; increased risk of impaired glucose tolerance, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes; breathing problems, such as sleep apnea and asthma; joint problems; fatty liver disease; and a greater risk of social and psychological problems, such as discrimination and poor self-esteem.
“The long-term effects of childhood obesity extend well beyond childhood. DEFY aims to set children up for success by providing a foundation of healthy living. We will do this through our own initiatives as well as partnering with likeminded organizations to maximize reach and impact in the greater Philadelphia community,” said Kenneth Jacobsen, Director of DEFY.
The Foundation will provide direct services to effected children and their families, including:
- Community Engagement and Education – DEFY will distribute educational materials on the benefits of nutritional eating and will engage with schools, recreation centers and other community venues to promote public awareness and understanding around healthy eating and an active lifestyle.
- Nonprofit Collaboration to Provide Healthy Alternatives - DEFY will collaborate with existing nonprofit organizations to make healthy foods more accessible in underserved communities, also known as “food deserts,” where no supermarket or other source of nutritional food exists.
- Direct Services to Provide Physical Activity – DEFY will provide special opportunities for children to meet professional athletes and to participate in recreational activities including youth clinics and school programs.
DEFY Board of Directors:
- Dorys Erving, philanthropist
- Kenneth A. Jacobsen, Attorney; Professor of Law at Temple University’s Beasley School of Law
- Gregory P. Montanero, Honorary Consul of Austria for Philadelphia; Associate Vice President and Executive Director of Federal Relations for Drexel University
- Frank S. Dandrea, CEO and President of Dandrea Product Co. and Dandrea Farms
DEFY Medical Advisory Board:
- Dr. Carolina Apovian, Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, in the Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition at Boston University School of Medicine
- Dr. Robert J. Hariri, Chairman and Founder, Celgene Cellular Therapeutics and MYOS Therapeutics
- Ave’ Maria Guerrieri, Emergency Nurse Practitioner, AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center
- Dr. Steven L. Rasner, Dentist, PearlSmiles
- Dr. Gary Dorshimer, Internist and Sports Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
ABOUT DORYS ERVING FIT YOUTH FOUNDATION
The Dorys Erving Fit Youth (DEFY) Foundation provides a platform for addressing the epidemic of childhood obesity in the Philadelphia metropolitan area through education, enhancing access to nutritional foods, and encouraging physical activity. For many children growing up in underserved communities, fighting obesity is an act of defiance – defying stereotypes, defying marketing influences, defying peer pressure. DEFY provides these children with the tools and programs that they need to stand up and fight for their bodies. For more information visit www.doryservingfityouthfoundation.org, @DEFYFoundation or https://www.facebook.com/DorysErvingFitYouthFoundation.