MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Creating monthly and annual maintenance schedules for your home’s major systems and appliances can help you save time and money down the road, according to Homestructions.com and American Home Shield, the nation’s leading provider of home warranties.
“Homeowners can save a significant amount of time and money by sticking to a routine preventive maintenance schedule”
Not sure where to begin? Start by adding these three easy tasks to your calendar each month:
- Clean the drains for the dishwasher. Food particles often wash down drains and cause clogs if not cleaned. Taking a few minutes to clean the drain each month will prevent a dishwasher breakdown.
- Check the garbage disposal. Flush the garbage disposal with water and baking soda to prevent odor and the accumulation of grime.
- Change the filters for your air conditioner and heating systems. Air filters should be changed regularly, generally every one to three months depending on the manufacturer’s guidelines, to help reduce stress placed on the air system and to improve air quality in the home.
Annual maintenance is also important, and should include things like:
- Inspecting your washer and dryer. Check hoses for leaks and clean the lint from your dryer ductwork to prevent a potential breakdown or fire hazard.
- Check windows and doors for leaks. Tighten damaged frames and any loose hardware, and be sure weatherstripping and caulking creates a tight seal around openings.
- Schedule professional tune-ups: Be sure to have your heating and cooling systems professionally serviced before each season to help extend the life of your unit and reduce energy costs.
“Homeowners can save a significant amount of time and money by sticking to a routine preventive maintenance schedule,” said Dave Quandt, American Home Shield’s vice president of field services. “Don’t wait for an appliance to malfunction. Creating and following a maintenance calendar will help you keep your major systems and appliances running smoothly.”
For more ideas on what to add to your schedule, visit Homestructions.com, a popular digital magazine sponsored by American Home Shield. The magazine provides offers homeowners fresh ideas, tips and do-it-yourself solutions for common household needs.
About American Home Shield
American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader, servicing more than 1.3 million customers across 49 states. In addition to its core focus on home protection plans, the company also issues and administers preventative maintenance contracts on major home systems and appliances in 48 states across the country. The Memphis-based company operates three customer service centers, employs approximately 1,800 employees and has a national contractor network made up of over 10,000 independent home-service contractor, which includes more than 40,000 technicians. American Home Shield is a subsidiary of The ServiceMaster Company, one of the world's largest residential service networks. The company’s brands include Terminix, TruGreen, American Home Shield, ServiceMaster Clean, Merry Maids, Furniture Medic and AmeriSpec.
With a global network of more than 7,300 company-owned, franchise and licensed locations, Memphis-based ServiceMaster is one of the world’s largest residential service networks. The company’s high-profile brands are Terminix, TruGreen, American Home Shield, ServiceMaster Clean, Merry Maids, Furniture Medic and AmeriSpec. Through approximately 20,000 corporate associates and a franchise network that independently employs an estimated 31,000 additional people, the ServiceMaster family of brands provided services and products to approximately 8 million customers during the last 12 months. The company’s market-leading brands provide a range of residential and commercial services including termite and pest control; lawn, tree and shrub care; home warranties and preventative maintenance contracts; furniture repair; home inspections; home cleaning; janitorial services; and disaster restoration. Go to www.servicemaster.com for more information about ServiceMaster or follow the company at twitter.com/ServiceMaster or facebook.com/TheServiceMasterCo.