CHARLOTTE, N.C.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Freescale Semiconductor announced today that the exclusive use of their technology by NASCAR has reached one million miles of competition in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Over the past year, Freescale has helped NASCAR successfully transition to electronic fuel injection (EFI), delivering high performance, reliability and quality in the hostile automotive racing environment with zero failure.
- Dale Earnhardt, Jr. was the first driver to cross the one millionth mile on Saturday, October 12 at 8:12 p.m. Eastern Time.
- Daytona 500 2012 marked the beginning of a new era in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series racing. For the first time in more than 60 years, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series cars roared onto Daytona International Speedway with 860 horsepower of fuel-injected muscle under the hood.
- As a replacement for the long-trusted carburetor, electronic fuel injection benefits fans and the environment, significantly reducing burn of excess fuel and limiting the harmful emissions that come along with it. It addition, EFI was the step in the move to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Generation-6 car that closely resembles cars found in the showroom.
- The Freescale microcontroller (MCU) inside the McLaren engine control unit (ECU) processes engine data at 1,000 times per second, calculating and directing the precise amount of fuel to be delivered to the engine’s manifold. This results in cleaner running engines, improved efficiency and performance.
- Freescale is the Official Automotive Semiconductor of NASCAR and one of only five sole-source suppliers approved by the racing giant. Freescale earned this pole position through a rigorous evaluation process by NASCAR to find the best and most reliable suppliers.
TWEET THIS: .@Freescale moves into pole position @NASCAR, EFI achieves “one million miles” at Charlotte Speedway http://bit.ly/19Lo7DJ
NASCAR Automotive Technology Series: EFI
About Freescale Semiconductor
Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE:FSL) is a global leader in embedded processing solutions, providing industry leading products that are advancing the automotive, consumer, industrial and networking markets. From microprocessors and microcontrollers to sensors, analog integrated circuits and connectivity – our technologies are the foundation for the innovations that make our world greener, safer, healthier and more connected. Some of our key applications and end-markets include automotive safety, hybrid and all-electric vehicles, next generation wireless infrastructure, smart energy management, portable medical devices, consumer appliances and smart mobile devices. The company is based in Austin, Texas, and has design, research and development, manufacturing and sales operations around the world. www.freescale.com
Freescale, the Freescale logo and Qorivva are trademarks of Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. © 2013 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.