MARLBOROUGH, Mass.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Sepaton, Inc., maker of the world's fastest backup and recovery platforms, today unveiled the Sepaton VirtuoSO data protection solution. Based on Sepaton’s new OptiScaleTM architecture, VirtuoSO delivers industry-leading performance, with groundbreaking advancements in deduplication, grid scalability, comprehensive multi-protocol support, and smart data movement. The result is the industry’s highest-performing scale-out NAS-based data protection solution with five times the capacity of competitive solutions at initial release with up to 22 times the capacity planned for future releases. It is engineered to address the critical needs of enterprise data centers, manage explosive data growth and new data types, with support for virtualization, Big Data, cloud and other emerging use cases.
“Data centers today are challenged by an explosion in data volumes, data types, and devices”
Sepaton will preview the Sepaton VirtuoSO solution this week at Storage Networking World (SNW) Fall 2013 at the Long Beach Convention & Entertainment Center in Long Beach, CA (Booth #302).
With data growth projected to exceed 40 zettabytes by 2020, data protection is becoming more challenging for modern data centers. Traditional data protection approaches are not robust enough to meet the most critical challenges facing enterprise IT: explosive data growth, meeting fixed or shrinking backup windows, achieving Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs), budget constraints, and increasing diversity of applications, systems, data types, and protocols.
“The data protection market is poised for disruption,” said Mike Thompson, president and CEO, Sepaton, Inc. “Big Data and other key initiatives have challenged customers with unabated data growth, both structured and unstructured. Meanwhile, data protection vendors continue to offer point product backup solutions that create data center sprawl and result in ever-increasing cost and complexity. Sepaton has a strong heritage of leadership delivering the world’s most efficient backup and recovery solutions designed specifically for enterprise IT organizations that manage extremely large and growing volumes of data. Today, we’re bringing that expertise to customers in a new product family with an extensible architecture that addresses their current and future data protection requirements. The VirtuoSO solution takes data protection to a new level, delivering the market’s most efficient deduplication in a market leading solution that scales to greater levels of capacity and performance than any other product in the world.”
“Data centers today are challenged by an explosion in data volumes, data types, and devices,” said Laura Dubois, vice president, storage research, IDC. “As a result, the disk-based data protection and recovery market is experiencing very strong growth and is anticipated to top nearly $17B in 2017. Data center IT staff are recognizing that continuing to add more and more independently addressable NAS data protection systems and resources is inefficient, cost prohibitive and complex.”*
Sepaton VirtuoSO provides support for multiple NAS and emerging protocols, “smart” hybrid deduplication (inline hash-based and post-processing), and has a comprehensive next-generation management system. VirtuoSO is built on Sepaton’s OptiScale architecture, an extensible architecture designed with the future in mind, enabling it to deliver the world’s fastest performance and largest capacity in a single system, while reducing operating and capital costs. Major components include:
- Extensible Scale-out Architecture purpose-built for enterprise data protection and optimized for large sequential I/O workloads. Engineered with the flexibility to support features for new and emerging protocols, data types, and backup applications as well as new approaches to backup, virtual environments, and cloud integration.
- Grid scalability provides seamless addition of performance and capacity with automatic, continuous rebalancing of workloads to protect many petabytes in one, easy-to-manage system. It enables enterprises to add performance and storage capacity independently as needed starting at 7.9TB/hour with a single node and scaling up to 16 nodes for total throughput up to 126 TB/hour in a single system.
- “Smart” hybrid deduplication optimized for all workloads and data types for the most efficient use of storage and bandwidth. Sepaton VirtuoSO Smart Hybrid Deduplication software automatically maximizes data reduction and performance globally, using inline and post-processing modes, depending on data type and change rate. It also enables policy-driven setting of the deduplication mode, including an option to bypass deduplication for data types such as encrypted or compressed data.
- Smart data movers enable multi-source and multi-target replication, and data migration for accelerated ingest and network efficiency. Sepaton VirtuoSO Intelligent Data Mover software is the basis for replication, source dedupe, data migration, and data tiering.
- New system management and reporting capabilities included in a new graphical user interface enable easy management with powerful dashboards from anywhere on any device.
Availability and Pricing
The Sepaton VirtuoSO data protection solution is currently in limited release and will be generally available in Q1 2014. Pricing starts at $344,500.
*Source: IDC, Worldwide Disk-Based Data Protection and Recovery 2013–2017 Forecast, Doc # 242452, Aug 2013
About Sepaton, Inc.
Sepaton delivers the world’s fastest, most scalable and most cost-efficient backup and recovery solutions for large enterprise and data-intensive organizations. Sepaton solutions are purpose-built for massive and fast growing data volumes that must be backed up within tight time windows and that require the fastest possible recovery in the event of a failure. VirtuoSO is the only solution that applies the most efficient deduplication to radically reduce storage needs and costs. Its unique scale-out OptiScaleTM architecture enables high performance and modular expansion to provide centralized protection of massive data volumes over time.
Sepaton is headquartered in Marlborough, MA, and has an office in London. For additional information call 866-Sepaton or visit http://www.Sepaton.com.
Sepaton is a registered trademark. OptiScale and Virtuoso are trademarks of Sepaton, Inc. All other brand and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.