WASHINGTON--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Today, the Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association (WMACCA) announced that Jonathan L. Spear, vice president and deputy general counsel of Verizon Business, will receive the organization’s Corporate Counsel Career Achievement Award at its 2013 Corporate Counsel Awards Reception.
“figuring out how to use the law to solve a business problem.”
The Corporate Counsel Career Achievement Award is designed to recognize the professional accomplishments of a senior member of the in-house bar for service both to the lawyer’s employer and to WMACCA.
Mr. Spear is Verizon’s senior government contracts lawyer. Since joining Verizon’s predecessor company, MCI, in 1992, he has seen huge changes in technology, as well as in government procurement practices and regulations affecting the telecommunications industry. Over his time with the company, its public sector business has grown from $70 million to $2 billion in revenues.
Mr. Spear says he has always taken great pleasure in “figuring out how to use the law to solve a business problem.” His skills were put to the test in 2004/05, when Mr. Spear played an instrumental role in successfully steering MCI through a U.S. government responsibility investigation and debarment proceedings that threatened to disqualify the company from federal government contracting. He also provided critical support for MCI’s merger with Verizon in 2006.
Mr. Spear served on the WMACCA Board of Directors and was president of the organization in 1998. During his term as president, he transformed WMACCA from a volunteer-run organization into a professionally run one, setting the stage for expansion of its services. He has remained an active member of the organization, speaking on panels and serving as a co-chair of one of its local practice-area committees. He also participates in Verizon’s pro bono program, including the team that teaches Street Law at South Lakes High School in Fairfax County, Va.
In addition to honoring Mr. Spear at the 9th Annual Corporate Counsel Awards Reception, WMACCA will announce the winners of its competitive awards at this event. The reception will take place at The Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner in McLean, Va., on Thursday, October 17, 2013.
The 15 finalists for those competitive awards are:
Outstanding Chief Legal Officer:
- Michael Bisignano, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Blackboard Inc.
- Suzanne Rich Folsom, Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, ACADEMI LLC
- Ho Shin, General Counsel, Chief Privacy Officer and Corporate Secretary, Millennial Media, Inc.
Outstanding In-House Counsel:
- Andrea L. Charters, Vice President and Associate General Counsel, Rosetta Stone Inc.
- Buddy Omohundro, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Apex Systems, Inc.
- Deena Williamson, Senior Vice President of Legal Affairs and General Counsel, Williams Lea, Inc.
- Philip Fletcher, Legal Assistant and Contract Administrator, HMSHost Corporation
- Marianne Peters, Principal Litigation Specialist, Capital One Services, LLC
- Laura Stevens, Senior Paralegal, Apex Systems, Inc.
Outstanding Law Department:
- ACADEMI LLC
- The Advisory Board Company
- Apex Systems, Inc.
- Walker & Dunlop, Inc.
Community Service Award:
- Evan Farber, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, The Advisory Board Company
- David Miller, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, SkyLink Aviation Inc.
The Corporate Counsel Awards were created in 2005 in celebration of WMACCA's 25th anniversary. In just nine years, the WMACCA Corporate Counsel Awards have become a well-recognized and sought-after honor for members of the in-house community in the District of Columbia, Commonwealth of Virginia and suburban Maryland. For a list of all previous Award winners, please visit http://www.acc.com/chapters/wmacca/awards.cfm. Registration for the Awards Reception is now open at http://www.cvent.com/d/54q77x
With more than 2,200 members, the Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association (WMACCA) serves the professional needs of in-house counsel in Washington, D.C., suburban Maryland, and Virginia. WMACCA is the regional chapter of the global Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC). WMACCA members participate in more than 90 professional development programs each year and keep connected through a variety of networking events and communications vehicles. WMACCA has been active in regulatory issues that affect the in-house bar, and in providing education to encourage advancements in the standards of corporate legal practice. More information about WMACCA is available on its Web site: http://wmacca.acc.com.