COLUMBIA, Mo.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--FairCom, a database company that builds high-performance, engineering-level database technology, today announced its c-treeRTG (Ready To Go) COBOL Edition. This plug and play option allows COBOL applications to connect to today’s Web-based and mobile technologies by replacing the native file system of COBOL to provide standards-based interoperability with current Web-based application program interfaces (APIs).
“Our COBOL system has always been accurate and reliable, but we needed a way to leverage the data in our inventory to streamline operations and empower our customers to place orders in real-time with confidence that the parts they need are in stock and will arrive on-time”
Gone are the days where legacy databases and applications must be completely replaced. Rather FairCom sees more benefits in empowering existing legacy software and infrastructure to allow integration with current industry standards. Implementing c-treeRTG COBOL Edition requires no changes to existing COBOL code, no duplication of data and no significant architectural changes. Existing applications benefit from a new file system offering transaction processing, enhanced scalability and recoverability while greatly expanding data availability. With FairCom’s c-treeRTG COBOL Edition, record-oriented COBOL applications are empowered by providing a bridge between COBOL and SQL standards – thereby opening up COBOL data to the Web, cloud and mobile devices.
For example, FairCom customer, Wencor (aircraft parts manufacturer and distributor for airline carriers, operators, repair stations and manufacturers across the globe), has modernized its COBOL-based inventory system with FairCom’s c-tree solution. While its COBOL system was reliable and accurate, accessing inventory data was difficult, and could not be done in real-time by customers and employees.
By replacing the COBOL file system with c-treeRTG, Wencor was able to make inventory information available in real-time to customers through its website, crucial for airline carriers needing to repair planes on the ground, and for manufacturers who need to support just-in-time manufacturing. Even aircraft mechanics can access required parts certifications and print them out in advance of FAA inspections to assure inspectors that aircraft meet required safety regulations.
“Our COBOL system has always been accurate and reliable, but we needed a way to leverage the data in our inventory to streamline operations and empower our customers to place orders in real-time with confidence that the parts they need are in stock and will arrive on-time,” said Moy M. Chambers, senior software engineer, Wencor. “With FairCom’s c-treeRTG solution, we were able to modernize our COBOL inventory system quickly, without disrupting our operations. Modernizing our inventory system is also creating lots of new opportunities to leverage our data through business intelligence, while further streamlining operations and finding new ways to serve customers.”
The c-treeRTG COBOL Edition is a seamless solution for COBOL applications and allows immediate benefits from the following capabilities:
- Robust data management: Provides several high availability features, such as full transaction log, automatic recovery and limited dynamic dump for integrated backup capabilities.
- Full administrative tools set: Allows you to monitor, manage, configure and fine-tune one or more c-treeRTG COBOL Edition servers with graphical tools to view and manipulate database structure, files schemas, tables and records.
- Support for multi-length records and redefines: There is no need to duplicate or distribute the data into multiple tables.
- Shared memory: No network latency for installations with the client and server on the same machine.
- Memory File support: Speedy access to non-persistent data such as temporary tables.
- Outstanding performance: Preserves the speedy I/O you are accustomed to in your COBOL applications. No need for a slower SQL connection with its added overhead of query optimization.
- User access: Control user access and permissions, view current connections and see files that are being accessed by specific users to prevent ghost locks.
- Security: Natively implemented data encryption ranges from simple masking to advanced encryption.
- Flexible configuration: Configurable data and index caches, data file locations, logs, etc.
- Concurrent access to records and files: Manages multiple levels of locks and provides native support for the various forms of file opening used in COBOL programs.
The c-treeRTG COBOL Edition will connect legacy functionality and provide data connections with both ISAM- and SQL-based databases. Full advantages of these capabilities can be found at www.faircom.com/rtg_cobol_new_t.php.
“With RTG COBOL Edition we are bringing instant value and lowering the risk to our customers that are being challenged with integrating the data that is being processed by their COBOL systems with other environments, such as Data Warehouses, Business Intelligence or even the Web,” said Evaldo Horn de Oliveira, business development director, FairCom. “Rather than a ‘big bang,’ high-risk, all-or-nothing conversion, we make it easy and affordable for our customers to get exactly what they need – seamless access to the COBOL data via SQL - while preserving their investment of years, and maintaining their existing reliable, high-performance COBOL deployments.”
c-treeRTG COBOL Edition will be available for download on Tuesday, October 15. For more details, go to www.faircom.com.
For more than 30 years, FairCom has built high-performance, engineering-level database technology that empowers developers to meet their specific data management requirements. With low licensing costs, minimal hardware requirements, and little-to-no DBA overhead, FairCom delivers one of the database industry’s lowest total costs of ownership (TCO). Its flagship product, c-treeACE, provides the most robust solution for ISAM and SQL, allowing developers to enjoy the optimal mix of each technology’s unique performance and ease of data sharing benefits. Thousands of ISVs and 43 percent of the Fortune 100 have selected c-treeACE to power their applications, including Federal Express, Microsoft, NASA and Visa. FairCom is headquartered in Columbia, Mo., with offices in Europe, South America and Asia (Japan). For more information, visit www.faircom.com.