OMAHA, Neb.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--ConAgra Foods, Inc., (NYSE: CAG), one of North America's leading food companies, today announced it has released its 2013 Citizenship Report, providing a deeper look into how the company is doing good through food while driving economic gains for its stakeholders. Available online at http://www.conagrafoodscitizenship.com, the report tracks the progress the company is making on its three-pronged Citizenship platform: Good for You, Good for the Community and Good for the Planet.
“Citizenship is integral to how we operate as a company, and it’s a key component of our five-year Recipe for Growth strategy”
“Citizenship is integral to how we operate as a company, and it’s a key component of our five-year Recipe for Growth strategy,” said Chris Kircher, vice president, Corporate Affairs and president, ConAgra Foods Foundation. “Our 2013 Citizenship Report shows where we’ve made progress as well as areas where we can improve, as we continue our journey toward becoming a leading corporate citizen.”
Since ConAgra Foods issued its last Citizenship Report in 2012, the company has demonstrated progress in key Citizenship measures to positively impact employees, the community and the environment. Highlights from ConAgra Foods’ 2013 Citizenship Report include examples of how ConAgra Foods:
- saved resources, reducing water use per pound by 6 percent compared to fiscal year 2012 and repurposing 93 percent of leftover materials generated from facilities that otherwise would have gone to waste. Additionally, through its sustainable development initiatives, ConAgra Foods significantly reduced its environmental impact while cutting costs by $26.6 million;
- improved safety performance by leveraging a robust safety program that encourages leadership, accountability and teamwork, ultimately decreasing Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Incident Rate (OIR) by 15 percent. In one facility, ConAgra Foods instilled a safety culture so impactful that employee injuries decreased by more than 90 percent.
- championed health and nutrition thought-leadership and education, issuing more than 7,000 units of continuing education credits to registered dietitians and diabetes educators through the ConAgra Foods Science Institute;
- continued efforts to end child hunger in America through multiple avenues. For instance, ConAgra Foods donated the monetary equivalent of more than 3 million meals to Feeding America through the Child Hunger Ends Here® program. Additionally, employees logged more than 7,000 hours of volunteer service during the third annual ConAgra Foods Week of Service, doubling the number of hours volunteered during the prior year’s event; and
- achieved recognition of ConAgra Foods’ ongoing corporate responsibility commitment, including selection for the third consecutive year on the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index and for the second consecutive year on the Civic 50, validating ConAgra Foods’ progress in key long-term economic, environmental and social criteria.
In preparing the 2013 Citizenship Report, ConAgra Foods followed the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G3 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines and the Food Sector supplement. More information on the GRI initiative is available at http://www.globalreporting.org. All data in the report reflects ConAgra Foods' fiscal year 2013, which ended May 26, 2013. The Citizenship Report covers all company-owned facilities, including some owned through joint ventures. ConAgra Foods plans to continue to publish subsequent updates each year in September, following the publication of its Annual Report to Stockholders.
About ConAgra Foods
ConAgra Foods, Inc. (NYSE: CAG) is one of North America's largest packaged food companies with branded and private branded food found in 99 percent of America’s households, as well as a strong commercial foods business serving restaurants and foodservice operations globally. Consumers can find recognized brands such as Banquet®, Chef Boyardee®, Egg Beaters®, Healthy Choice®, Hebrew National®, Hunt's®, Marie Callender's®, Orville Redenbacher's®, PAM®, Peter Pan®, Reddi-wip®, Slim Jim®, Snack Pack® and many other ConAgra Foods brands, along with food sold by ConAgra Foods under private brand labels, in grocery, convenience, mass merchandise, club and drug stores. Additionally, ConAgra Foods supplies frozen potato and sweet potato products as well as other vegetable, spice, bakery and grain products to commercial and foodservice customers. ConAgra Foods operates ReadySetEat.com, an interactive recipe website that provides consumers with easy dinner recipes and more. For more information, please visit us at www.conagrafoods.com.