LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--(NYSE: GE) — The revitalization of American manufacturing is on display at Appliance Park—headquarters of GE Appliances—as the business celebrates 60 years of operations in Louisville, Ky. On September 28, Appliance Park is opening its 900-acre campus to an expected 10,000 current employees, retirees, their families and friends at its 60th Anniversary Open House, to showcase the results of the $1 billion of investment in the business and to celebrate GE’s proud history in the Louisville community.
“This investment isn’t just a physical transformation, but also a demonstration of American productivity and ingenuity”
GE has opened two new factories at Appliance Park and rebuilt two factories to accommodate production of six new product lines. Upgrades have been made to several other areas of the facility, with more than 3,000 new American jobs created along the way.
- February 2012: The GeoSpringTM hybrid water heater became the first new product launched at Appliance Park in more than 50 years
- March 2012: The French-door bottom freezer refrigerator factory opened
- October 2012: Phase one of new dishwashers launched, with the release of phase two planned for October 2013
- November 2012: a new line for the production of high-efficiency topload washers opened
- April 2013: Production began for a new frontload washer and matching dryer, GE’s first frontload laundry pair manufactured in the United States
“This investment isn’t just a physical transformation, but also a demonstration of American productivity and ingenuity,” said GE Appliances President and CEO Chip Blankenship. “We are proud to build upon GE’s rich history in Louisville and look forward to another great 60 years.”
About the Celebration
Appliance Park’s 60th Anniversary Open House offers more than 30 attractions throughout the day for its employees, retirees and their families and friends to enjoy. Some highlights include:
- Live music and entertainment throughout the day, provided by GE employees
- Self-guided tours of the newly transformed production facilities
- Children’s activities sponsored by Actors Theatre, Kentucky Science Center and the Kentucky Center for the Arts
- “Build a bear” for charity and donations for Dare to Care, Jefferson County Public Schools and WaterStep coordinated by GE Volunteers
- Appliance Park’s HealthAhead and Environmental, Health and Safety teams, along with the American Red Cross, will promote health and safety for families on the job and at home
- The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet’s Distracted Driving Simulator gives real-life exposure to the dangers of distracted driving without putting participants at risk
From the Inside Out: Appliance Park Gets a Makeover
Residents who drive past the Park may notice fresh paint on the buildings and newly planted trees, two of the projects underway to improve the visual appeal of Appliance Park. Diagrams for a new Poplar Level Road entrance will be revealed at the Open House. Attendees will have the first opportunity to purchase a brick or paver for the entrance with all proceeds going to scholarships to educate the next generation of American manufacturing workers.
A Member of the Community
Appliance Park’s success could not be possible without the support of the Louisville community. GE invests in its employees and the local community through service, grant programs, and sponsoring arts and education programs. Annually, GE Volunteers log thousands of volunteer hours to help those less fortunate, and GE Appliances’ Employee Community Fund campaign ranks third among Louisville companies in its level of employee giving to the Metro United Way. The Jefferson County Public School System has received $35.5 million in grants from the GE Foundation for improved math and science education. In addition, GE’s long-standing partnerships with Actors Theatre and the Kentucky Opera have helped further the arts within the community.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or check out our website for more information
Friend GE Appliances on Facebook to view how-to videos, learn about new GE appliances and join in the discussion with other GE appliance owners. Join today and follow @GE_Appliances on Twitter or just locate detailed information about our products at www.geappliances.com.
GE Appliances is at the forefront of building innovative, energy-efficient appliances that improve people’s lives. GE Appliances’ products include refrigerators, freezers, cooking products, dishwashers, washers, dryers, air conditioners, water filtration systems and water heaters. General Electric (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter to build a world that works better. For more information on GE Appliances, visit www.ge.com/appliances.