LONDON--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Bloomberg Sports (BSports), the world leaders in sports analytic technology, today unveiled its purely objective projections for the 2013/2014 UEFA Champions League, tipping Barcelona to win the Champions League ahead of Bayern Munich. Along with this, all England-based teams are projected to qualify from their respective groups, with Chelsea having the best chances of winning the tournament.
“Our purely data-driven method of projecting outcomes has already proved highly accurate. Since the start of last year, our Match Analysis tool has shown at least 5% of value in over 46% of matches, with a net profit of +34.41 units.”
The projections are available online (www.bsports.com/ProjectedTablesChampions) alongside updated projections for Europe’s top five leagues.
Tournament Winner: Barcelona defy the bookmakers
These uniquely objective, data-driven projections provide odds for each team winning the tournament, winning their group and qualifying from their group. They also highlight where bookmakers have either undervalued or overvalued certain teams.
- Compared to bookmakers, BSports gives Barcelona a better chance to win (21.3%) than Bayern Munich (18.9%).
- Real Madrid (16.7%) are the most likely team to push Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
- Chelsea (8.9%) have better odds of winning the Champions League than both Manchester-based clubs.
- BSports data indicates Manchester City (7.2%) have a better chance of winning than Manchester United (6.4%).
Group Stages: English Teams to qualify for Round of 16
- Despite David Moyes’ inexperience in the Champions League, Man Utd are favourites to qualify (84.8%) from Group A. They are also favourites to win the group at 60.9%.
- In Group F, the so-called ‘group of death’, little separates Arsenal (62.6%) & Dortmund (60.9%) for the top two places.
- Man City (87.2%) and Bayern Munich (94.9%) are both expected to qualify from Group D, however City’s chances of winning the group are almost half Bayern Munich’s, with tougher opponents likely in the next round.
- BSports gives Chelsea a better chance (77%) of winning Group E compared to bookmakers and they are almost odds-on to qualify (95%) from their group.
“BSports are adding our mathematically-derived predictions to the Champion’s League debate, just as we did with the projections for the top five European leagues” said Bill Squadron, President of Bloomberg Sports. “Our purely data-driven method of projecting outcomes has already proved highly accurate. Since the start of last year, our Match Analysis tool has shown at least 5% of value in over 46% of matches, with a net profit of +34.41 units.”
Alongside these projections, BSports’ free Match Analysis tool presents the probable outcomes of every Champions League match. It even updates the odds of each result every minute throughout the game, providing fans with unique insights and bettors with pure, math-driven odds that they can then compare to what the bookmakers are offering, ultimately helping them ‘Beat the Bookie’. Match Analysis is available at www.bsports.com/ma.
About the Projections
The projections are uniquely data-driven and take into account recent and historic performances of each club, transfer activity and the result of the recent Group Stage draw. Bloomberg Sports will continue to update these projections throughout the tournament, taking into account recent domestic league performances and Champions League results (with stats available on Match Analysis).
About Bloomberg Sports
Launched in 2010, Bloomberg Sports takes the technology developed by Bloomberg, the leading global provider in data and analytics, and applies it to the vast data analysis opportunities in sports. The company’s latest consumer product for European football, “Match Analysis,” is a powerful predictive and analytic tool forecasting game results. They recently launched “Stats Insights,” a comprehensive blog that contains original content and analysis for the five major European football leagues.