PITTSBURGH--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--The AVA Foundation today announced five scholarship winners and multiple activities for the upcoming Annual Scientific Meeting of the Association for Vascular Access (AVA). The meeting will be held Sept. 20-23 in Nashville.
“AVA’s annual conference is an exciting time for us and also a crucial one for the foundation”
More than 30 AVA members applied to the foundation for $1,000 travel scholarships to attend the conference. The five winners are:
- Carole Fuseck RN, BSN, VA-BC, Vascular Access Specialist, Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Turena Reeves, RN, OCN, VA-BC, Quality Management Coordinator, Einstein Medical Center (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Shirley O’Donnell, BSN, CCRN, VA-BC, Vascular Access Service Coordinator, San Francisco General Hospital (San Francisco, Calif.)
- Monica Nguyen RN, MSN, VA-BC, PICC nurse VA, Central Valley Health Care System (Clovis, Calif.)
- Georgia Akin ADN, OCN, Providence Regional Cancer System: Lacy Infusion Center, (Aberdeen, Wash.).
The foundation will introduce its new Vascular Access Connection to Research Award Program (VACRA) at the conference. Through the program, applicants can submit proposals quarterly for grant awards of $1,500 each.
The foundation, which supports research and education in vascular access, is planning to offer a course for potential applicants that covers proposal writing, research ethics, and evidence-based practice. The course is open to AVA members who wish to submit a proposal but who do not have a terminal degree and/or have not completed an institutional review board (IRB) process in the last decade.
“AVA’s annual conference is an exciting time for us and also a crucial one for the foundation,” said Denise Macklin, BSN, RN, VA-BC, RNC, president of the foundation’s board of directors. “The conference is where we raise a substantial portion of the funds that we distribute throughout the year in the form of research grants and scholarships. A successful conference means greater advances in evidence-based vascular access, so I invite all members and Event Sponsors to support our efforts at this year’s gathering.”
The meeting will feature two fundraising events for the foundation:
- Ice Cream Social – Tickets for this event, which raises funds for the foundation’s research grants and educational scholarships, are tax-deductible. Tickets may be purchased for $55 at the door. Attendees will learn about the Member Research Award Program and view the foundation’s new video about its work. The Ice Cream Social will take place Friday, Sept. 20, from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Presidential Ballroom of the convention center.
- Connect the Dots Game – A Connect the Dots game card is included in all attendee registration bags. When members visit the booths of participating Event Sponsors, they can pick up a colored dot to place on their card. Attendees who complete their card receive a free Connect the Dots T-shirt. This event raises funds for the foundation because Event Sponsors make a donation to participate in the game.
About the AVA Foundation
The AVA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) educational and research foundation dedicated to saving lives through promoting risk-free vascular access and evidence-based clinical practice. The foundation serves several constituencies including clinicians interested in vascular access; students of the healthcare professions, and vascular access patients and their families. Donations to the foundation can be securely made online at www.ava-foundation.net/donate. For more information, call (801) 792-9079, or visit www.ava-foundation.net.