WESTBURY, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Area Development, the leading publication covering site selection and facility planning, has announced the results of its 2013 Top States for Doing Business survey of leading location consultants. According to the results, the top-10 states for doing business are Texas, Georgia and South Carolina (tied), Alabama, North Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi, and California in that order.
Area Development asked a select group of highly respected location consultants who work with a nationwide client base to name their top-5 state choices in 17 site selection categories, as follows:
• Overall cost of doing business
• Corporate tax environment
• Incentives programs
• Cooperative state government
• Speed of permitting
• Access to capital and project funding
• Most favorable regulatory environment
• Renewed consideration post-recession
• Availability of skilled labor
• Competitive labor costs
• Leading work force development programs
• Most diverse labor pool
• Best right-to-work or non-right-to-work environment
• Rail & highway accessibility
• Certified sites and shovel-ready programs
• Competitive utility rates
• Distribution/logistics access
States were ranked in each of the 17 categories above based on the number of times they were named as a “top-5” choice by the responding consultants. Texas, which was cited 280 times overall, led all other states as the consultants’ #1 choice for doing business. Georgia and South Carolina also received more than 200 mentions.
A full review of this year’s Top States for Doing Business, along with commentary on the results from several well-respected consultants to industry, is presented in the Q3 issue of Area Development magazine and is posted online at http://www.areadevelopment.com/top-states.
Area Development is published quarterly and also maintains several highly visited websites, which can be reached through its website: www.areadevelopment.com. It also has produced more than 25 Best Practices Consultants Forums for economic developers since 2006.