TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--AOL Canada announced today the launch of Parentdish (www.parentdish.ca), a full-spectrum parenting site offering an honest perspective for parents with content ranging from pregnancy through to parenting teens.
“In looking at the topics that matter most to parents, we felt like there was a demand for an online community that offers a combination of expert advice, tips, news and reviews, and, most importantly, drives conversations with the readers”
In preparation for launch, Parentdish commissioned a survey to get a unique perspective on the current state of parenting in Canada. Key highlights from the study include:
- What worries parents most? 31 per cent of parents surveyed indicated school bullying as their primary parenting concern.
- What do parents miss most about life before children? Romance/sex ranked highest for surveyed dads (31 per cent), while moms missed sleeping-in most (33 per cent), with sex coming in sixth (17 per cent), after money (23 per cent), good body/staying fit (22 per cent), not being interrupted (20 per cent) and beautiful/tidy home (18 per cent).
- Are parents finding time for themselves? Of the 507 parents polled, 72 per cent of parents indicated that they had two nights or less to unwind in the past month.
Find “the dish on Canadian parents” and more survey results on Parentdish.
Overall, the site will provide Canadian parents with a fresh, honest, take on parenting, and will feature advice, news, reviews and original content on topics that matter most to Canadian parents. Psychotherapist and well-known parenting expert, Alyson Schafer, has been named Parentdish’s resident parenting guru and will provide an authoritative voice for the site. Schafer, the author of Breaking the Good Mom Myth, Honey, I Wrecked the Kids, and Ain’t Misbehavin’ will be creating content to address challenges faced by parents, along with the key issues highlighted in the survey conducted by AOL.
“In looking at the topics that matter most to parents, we felt like there was a demand for an online community that offers a combination of expert advice, tips, news and reviews, and, most importantly, drives conversations with the readers,” says Rashida Jeeva, general manager, AOL Lifestyle properties.
With premium content on the site led by editor, Kristy Woudstra, along with expert advice from Schafer, featured stories at launch include:
- Alyson Schafer shares tips on how to encourage Reluctant Readers.
- Back to school photo contest.
- Healthy Lunches, Rose Reisman’s top back to school lunch picks.
- Is that normal? A weekly feature on behaviours and habits of kids.
- Pregnancy tips and advice – 10 Pregnancy Tips I Wish Someone had Told Me.
- Social media integration and engaging photo galleries.
Parentdish joins StyleList Canada, The Huffington Post Canada Style, The Huffington Post Canada Living, and The Huffington Post Canada Impact, among other properties, in AOL’s premium lifestyle offering reaching 2,558,000 unique visitors in Canada*. AOL’s lifestyle sites, including Parentdish, give advertisers and brands an expanded suite of advertising solutions including video, mobile, standard display, premium ad formats and custom branded content solutions. TD Bank Group is the official advertising launch partner. TD has also partnered with the parenting site to create custom branded content around the financial institution's own www.TDReads.com site promoting literacy and reading habits for children in Canada. The site will also feature shared content from TC Media’s lifestyle sites CanadianLiving.com, StyleatHome.com, and ElleCanada.com.
Source: comScore Inc., Total Canada, Home and Work, July 2013, *[AOL Lifestyle].
AOL Inc. (NYSE: AOL) is a brand company, committed to continuously innovating, growing, and investing in brands and experiences that inform, entertain, and connect the world. The home of a world-class collection of premium brands, AOL creates original content that engages audiences on a local and global scale. We help marketers connect with these audiences through effective and engaging digital advertising solutions.
About the Poll
From August 27 to August 30, 2013, an online survey was conducted among a sample of 507 Canadian English speaking parents aged 18 years old or older with at least one child under the age of 18 in the household who are also Angus Reid Forum panel members. The margin of error — which measures sampling variability — is +/-4.4%, 19 times out of 20. The sample was balanced by gender and region to the profile of Canadian English speaking parents aged 18+. Discrepancies in or between totals are due to rounding.