CHELMSFORD, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Along with preparations for the new academic year, Alabama’s Jefferson County school system is also planning for the mandatory Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance. The school system realized the effects that ACA’s mandate will have on its part-time employees and is leveraging solutions from Kronos Incorporated to prepare more effectively.
- The second-largest school system in Alabama, Jefferson County employs 4,500 staff members and serves more than 36,000 students. In addition, the school system employs more than 500 part-time workers including substitute teachers and after-school care employees.
- Jefferson County school system uses the Kronos time and attendance solution for payroll accuracy. For added innovation in how the school system manages its workforce, Jefferson County also uses Kronos mobile and tablet applications, as well as Kronos InTouch® time clocks to provide employees more control over their time, enabling them to easily check accrual balances, request time off, and view schedules – all in real time.
- Although the deadline for ACA compliance has been delayed to January 2015, Jefferson County school system is still focused on making strategic choices now that will help it comply with ACA. And the Kronos workforce management solutions are helping the school system reduce administrative tasks associated with accurately tracking time-worked data for its part-time workers.
- With Kronos, Jefferson County school system is able to easily produce reports, which within seconds display hours worked by each part-time employee. This also allows the school system to maintain accurate electronic records for ACA-related audits. By focusing on the workforce -- with advanced workforce management technology -- Jefferson County school system is dramatically improving efficiencies all around.
Sheila Jones, chief financial officer, Jefferson County School
“Prior to Kronos, we used paper timesheets to track substitute employee time, which left room for human error, especially when considering a possible ACA audit. With Kronos, it’s a click of a button for the report to run, providing a complete picture of all employee hours. Without this, we would have had to hire additional staff to help us navigate the timesheets to meet ACA compliance. With Kronos, we are not just saving administrative time and accurately recording employee time but also saving costs, which we can reinvest in student services.”
Christine Carmichael, director, public sector practice group, Kronos
“The delay in the implementation of the employer mandate ACA provisions allows organizations across the country to take a more thoughtful and strategic approach to ACA compliance. Jefferson County school system is ahead of the game with ACA planning. By focusing on its workforce, the school system will ultimately do more than just meet ACA compliance – it will be well prepared to absorb the associated costs and continue to deliver excellence in education.”
- About Jefferson County School System
- Connect with Kronos via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Subscribe to our workforce management blogs.
- Take a look at the lighter side of workforce management in our Time Well Spent cartoons.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in delivering workforce management solutions in the cloud. Tens of thousands of organizations in more than 100 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Learn more about Kronos industry-specific time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications at www.kronos.com. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works™.
© 2013 Kronos Incorporated. Kronos and Kronos InTouch are registered trademarks and Workforce Innovation That Works is a trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.