ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--How can a smart grid save homeowners $500 a year? What is a smart meter? Consumers looking for information about smart grid online now have a new resource, WhatIsSmartGrid.org, launched today by the Smart Grid Consumer Collaborative (SGCC).
“The website is a one-stop shop for everything a consumer needs to know about smart grid”
WhatIsSmartGrid.org provides visitors with easy-to-understand information about the smart grid. Since more than 50 percent of consumers have never heard the term “smart grid,” SGCC designed the site with a focus on explaining the concepts in everyday language and communicating the benefits of the smart grid in ways that impact people where they live, work, and play.
“The website is a one-stop shop for everything a consumer needs to know about smart grid,” explains SGCC Executive Director Patty Durand. “The site was created to help all types of energy consumers, from families trying to stretch their household budget to young people in their first apartment, understand how a smart grid can benefit them.”
Rather than get bogged down in industry-speak and technical language, the SGCC’s new site uses real world examples to demonstrate the advantages of a smart grid. For example, the Smart Grid can increase the U.S. grid's efficiency by 9 percent, or 423 billion kilowatt-hours per year, enough electricity to power Las Vegas 207 times over.
Other features include:
- An interactive smart grid infographic showing just what a 9 percent more efficient grid would amount to;
- A state-by-state menu that connects consumers with information about local energy data and programs;
- Customized feature sections for those who want to learn more about the smart grid in general, environmental benefits, cost savings and empowerment;
- Energy resources including: videos, fact sheets, research and links to other renewable energy websites;
- An “Ask an expert” section – a Frequently Asked Question section, which also features the ability for consumers to get answers from experts.
To explore and learn more visit WhatIsSmartGrid.org.
About Smart Grid Consumer Collaborative
Smart Grid Consumer Collaborative (SGCC), is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with the mission of accelerating the adoption of a consumer-friendly, consumer-safe and consumer-approved smart grid. Membership is open to advocacy groups, technology vendors, research laboratories and electric utilities for collaboration in research, best practices and consumer education.