CHANHASSEN, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As summer winds down and schedules remain hectic with ample opportunities for unhealthy eating, the Life Time Foundation, dedicated to providing kids with healthy meals at schools, urges families and kids alike to stay out of the unhealthy snacking trap and use these five quick, easy and healthy snack options.
- Fruit freezies: Puree a favorite mixture of fresh fruits and fruit juice and pour into Popsicle moldings before freezing overnight. For a tasty twist, add in honey, mint or basil. Another alternative is to set out organic, frozen fruit — such as berries or grapes — for 5-10 minutes before munching down. The fruit will thaw enough to chew and enjoy, but still hold a chill to cool down even the hottest summer days.
- Homemade banana ice cream: Place frozen bananas in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add in unsweetened almond milk for a creamier texture and top with raw nuts, chopped dates or dark chocolate chips.
- Fruit kabobs: Slide cubed fruit on wooden skewers. Use a variety of different colors such as pineapples, grapes, mango, kiwi, apples and berries to make it fun and delicious.
- Sandwich on a stick: Place a small square of bread on a skewer and follow with a cube of cheese, preservative and antibiotic free sandwich meat, a cherry tomato, lettuce and a sliced cucumber then top with another small square of bread. As a quick alternative, wrap natural sandwich meat around carrots, celery or cheese for an added crunch.
- Cucumber hummus boats: Slice a small cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Fill the middle with hummus and top with chopped tomatoes and feta.
For healthier summer snacks, avoid unhealthy ingredients including high fructose corn syrup, bleached flour, artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, artificial preservatives, trans fats/hydrogenated oils, hormones and antibiotics in animal products.
To receive a complimentary copy of the 7-Day Clean Eating Commitment e-book chock-full of healthy recipes and shopping lists contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the Life Time Foundation or to nominate a school to receive healthy lunches, visit www.ltffoundation.org or www.facebook.com/lifetimefitnessfoundation.
About Life Time Foundation
As the charitable giving component of Life Time, the Life Time Foundation is about inspiring healthy people and a healthy planet one mission at a time. Our current mission is improving children's nutrition — One School Lunch Program at a Time. We’re on a mission to ensure every child has a healthy start in life, beginning with proper nutrition and exercise. Unlike many other charitable organizations in which a portion of your donation is consumed by administrative costs, 100% of every dollar donated to the Life Time Foundation supports our missions. That's because all administrative costs are contributed by Life Time Fitness, Inc.
About Life Time Fitness, Inc.
As The Healthy Way of Life Company, Life Time Fitness (NYSE:LTM) helps organizations, communities and individuals achieve their total health objectives, athletic aspirations and fitness goals by engaging in their areas of interest — or discovering new passions — both inside and outside of Life Time’s distinctive and large sports, professional fitness, family recreation and spa destinations, most of which operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Company’s Healthy Way of Life approach enables customers to achieve this by providing the best programs, people and places of uncompromising quality and value. As of Aug. 20, the Company operated 106 centers under the LIFE TIME FITNESS® and LIFE TIME ATHLETIC® brands in the United States and Canada. Additional information about Life Time centers, programs and services is available at lifetimefitness.com.