NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Disney established its university spirit at the 2013 American International Toy Fair today, kicking-off with a marching band to reveal the hottest new toys from the Monsters University product collection, which consists of more than 1,000 products from 125 licensees. The audience of toy-industry insiders was treated to an appearance by Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winning actor John Goodman, voice of James P. Sullivan, who was presented with a custom-built toy celebrating his beloved character from the film. Pixar veterans, director Dan Scanlon and producer Kori Rae, were also on hand to offer an inside look and screen a never-before-seen trailer. Inspired by Disney•Pixar’s Monsters University, releasing in theaters June 21, 2013, the new toy line delivers hours of imaginative play filled with innovative and interactive features from leading toy companies Spin Master and Fisher-Price. John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, joined the event via video (http://bit.ly/JohnLasseterMonstersU) to reveal some of the most innovative toys to the audience.
“Given the trajectory of Monsters, Inc. and the overall track record of Disney∙Pixar films, we set out to develop a robust Monsters University product collection that takes play to a whole new level and leverages technology and creativity”
Since its release in 2001, Monsters, Inc. continues to thrive, generating $525 million in global box office and $1.5 billion in global merchandise retail sales to date. The film also boasts 96 percent awareness among 13-54-year-olds, with 60 percent of parents owning Monsters, Inc. on DVD.
“Given the trajectory of Monsters, Inc. and the overall track record of Disney∙Pixar films, we set out to develop a robust Monsters University product collection that takes play to a whole new level and leverages technology and creativity,” said Josh Silverman, executive vice president of Licensing for Disney Consumer Products, who was also a key presenter at the event.
The new toy line includes action figures, vehicles, playsets, plush figures, preschool and remote control items to help kids recreate key moments from the film. Monsters University will also be supported with product lines from stationery, apparel and accessories, home décor, books and a magazine, and food, health and beauty items, along with an exclusive collection from Disney Store and DisneyStore.com. The new products will be available at retail starting this spring.
Monsters University Product Line Highlights:
(For an extended toy line please visit: http://bit.ly/MUProductImages)
Technology & Innovation
Technology is a key feature in the new Monsters University line, with toys featuring sound and light detection, digital apps and facial sync technology to allow for more interactive play than ever before. The resulting line includes new innovations such as:
From Spin Master:
- Scare-Off Sulley (SRP $79.99, available fall 2013) is the most interactive toy in the Monsters University collection with five different modes of play and the ability to sense its environment, changing play modes automatically to match its current surroundings. Kids can interact directly with Scare Off Sulley by challenging him to a “scare off” - if they scream loud enough, he will fall backwards in fear.
- 100 percent kid powered, the Sulley Monster Mask (SRP $24.99, available spring 2013) allows kids to move Sulley’s eyebrows and lips as they put on the mask and open, close or move their jaws up and down.
- The Roll-A-Scare Race Playset (SRP $19.99, available spring 2013) allows kids to utilize the Roll-A-Scare™ Monsters Assortment (SRP $6.99 each, available spring 2013) to roll, pop and scare with favorite characters from the movie. The monsters slide down the playset and as they reach the bottom they pop-up for scaring fun. Each figure is uniquely stylized and has a surprise pop-up activation that can also be activated with a Student ID card that springs the monsters open. There are 12 characters to collect in total to recreate favorite scenes from the movie.
From Disney Store:
- The exclusive Monsters University collection from Disney Store will include toys, action figures, luggage, apparel and more. One of the most unique items is the Monsters University Speak N Scare Action Figures line (SRP $34.95, available June 2013) featuring favorite characters from the film. In tandem with a free digital app, kids can rate their own “roar” or enhance it using different tools. The app can also sync with the action figures to control their scaring actions. Other modes of play include play mode with more than 40 phrases, scare mode with five different sound-activated roars and interactive mode that allows the action figures to converse with one another.
From Disney Interactive:
Disney Infinity is a bold new gaming initiative from
Disney Interactive that features a new line of collectible figures
based on Disney and Pixar’s biggest franchises. The characters come to
life in a new video game featuring true-to-property Disney adventures
in the game worlds of Monsters University, The Incredibles, Pirates
of the Caribbean, and more, as well as in a giant virtual “Toy
Box” where players can create their own Disney experiences. At this
year’s American International Toy Fair, attendees were given an
opportunity to preview the game and play to solve challenging puzzles,
battle enemies and explore iconic locations from Monsters University,
while collecting unique characters, vehicles, and gadgets and saving
them to a “Toy Box.”
Disney Infinity will launch in June across all consoles and will have a phased roll out across mobile and online devices throughout 2013 (SRP $4.99 - $74.99)
From Disney Publishing:
- The Monsters University publishing program includes over 30 new Monsters University books debuting in the U.S. this spring including novels/readers, illustrated storybooks, a full-color yearbook, a storybook collection with 17 tales, and an oversized board book with flaps featuring illustrations by Pixar talent Harley Jessup. Additionally, Disney Magazines will release a Monsters University special movie magazine featuring Mike and Sulley's college adventures and all-new characters from the film. The 96-page magazine includes exclusive content such as games, activities, comics, puzzles and more, available in June.
- Fisher Price will introduce a variety of toys and playsets from the Fisher-Price by Imaginext® line including the Monsters University Row Playset by Imaginext® (SRP $29.99, available spring 2013), which comes with electronics featuring character voices to relive the fun of chasing Archie the scare pig through the quad. The set comes with two figure disks that either spin the bottom floor so you can have the monsters chase Archie in circles or catapult Archie across the set, through a trap door and into his cage.
About Disney∙Pixar’s Monsters University
Ever since college-bound Mike Wazowski (voice of Billy Crystal) was a little monster, he has dreamed of becoming a scarer—and he knows better than anyone that the best scarers come from Monsters University (MU). But during his first semester at MU, Mike’s plans are derailed when he crosses paths with hotshot James P. Sullivan, “Sulley” (voice of John Goodman), a natural-born scarer. The pair’s out-of-control competitive spirit gets them both kicked out of the University’s elite Scare Program. To make matters worse, they realize they will have to work together, along with an odd bunch of misfit monsters, if they ever hope to make things right. Screaming with laughter and oozing with heart, Disney•Pixar’s “Monsters University” is directed by Dan Scanlon (“Cars,” “Mater and the Ghostlight,” “Tracy”), produced by Kori Rae (“Up,” “The Incredibles,” “Monsters, Inc.”) and features music from future Rock-and-Roll-Hall-of-Fame–inductee and award winning composer Randy Newman (“Monsters, Inc.,” “Toy Story 3”). For more information, like us at facebook.com/PixarMonstersUniversity, and follow us on twitter.com/disneypixar. The film opens in U.S. theaters on June 21, 2013, and will be shown in Disney Digital 3D™ in select theaters. For more information about MU, check out monstersuniversity.com/edu.
About Disney Consumer Products
Disney Consumer Products (DCP), the world’s largest licensor, is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) and its affiliates that extends the Disney and Marvel brands to merchandise ranging from apparel, toys, home décor and books to food and beverages, stationery, electronics and fine art. DCP develops Disney entertainment franchises into 365 day-a-year product opportunities at retailers worldwide. Through the magic of Disney brands and franchises, DCP aims to inspire the imagination of people around the world by delivering innovative and engaging product experiences. DCP is comprised of three businesses: Licensing, Publishing and Disney Store. The Licensing business is aligned around seven strategic brand priorities: Disney Baby & Classic Characters, Disney Media Networks & Games, Disney & Pixar Animation Studios, Disney Princess & Disney Fairies, Disney Live Action Film, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW) is the world's largest publisher of children's books, magazines, and digital products. Disney English is DPW's English language learning business, which includes over 40 Disney English learning centers across China and a supplemental learning book program. DPW’s growing library of digital products includes best-selling eBook titles and original apps. The Disney Store retail chain operates across North America, Europe, and Japan with more than 350 stores worldwide. Disney Store carries high-quality products, including exclusive merchandise tied to key Disney and Marvel entertainment offerings. www.DisneyStore.com and www.DisneyStore.co.uk are Disney’s official online shopping portals. For more information, please visit Disney Consumer Products or follow us at www.YouTube.com/DisneyLiving, www.Facebook.com/DisneyLiving and www.Twitter.com/DisneyLiving.