LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) announced today it has surpassed its goal of hiring 1,000 U.S. military veterans and/or their spouses by mid-2014. Humana made the hiring commitment in August 2011 as part of President Obama’s challenge to U.S. employers to hire 100,000 veterans and/or their spouses over the following three years.
“A focused, company-wide effort enabled Humana to reach this milestone and surpass our initial hiring goal”
“A focused, company-wide effort enabled Humana to reach this milestone and surpass our initial hiring goal,” said Bruce Broussard, President and Chief Executive Officer of Humana. “Based on Humana’s experience partnering in multiple ways with the U.S. armed forces, we know that veterans and veteran spouses offer unique skills and insights that contribute significantly to fulfilling our dream of helping people achieve lifelong well-being.”
Given the success of the veteran-hiring effort at Humana, the company will now work to hire an additional 1,000 military veterans and/or their spouses over the next two years, showcasing Humana’s continuing commitment to supporting the men and women of the U.S. military.
“Humana is honoring the extraordinary service of our military and stepping up to answer the President’s call to action by hiring over 1,000 veterans and spouses a full year ahead of their goal,” said U.S. Navy Captain Todd Veazie, Executive Director of Joining Forces, Office of the First Lady, The White House. “Like so many great companies supporting the First Lady and Dr. Biden’s Joining Forces initiative, Humana’s increased commitment affirms the value they place in our military, veterans and military spouses. Because no one who has fought for our country should fight for a job when they come home.”
“Humana has a long history of working with the military and we understand the needs of veterans and their families. That’s why we chose to join the national effort to boost veteran recruitment and hiring,” said Tim McClain, President of Humana Government Business. “This is also why we are now pledging to hire an additional 1,000 veterans and/or their spouses over the next two years.”
Humana is proud to support veterans and their spouses through easing the transition into civilian life. By creating a flexible, supportive work environment, Humana allows former service men and women to re-join the civilian workforce with maximum effectiveness.
The national Humana Veterans Initiative is an outgrowth of Humana’s long-standing relationship with the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Humana Military is the health-benefits administrator for more than three million active duty and retired military personnel and their families under the DoD’s TRICARE program. In addition, the company’s efforts span a variety of health care solutions supporting Veterans, including:
- Building a partnership with the MilSpouse eMentor program, which provides advice and support to military families through mentor relationships.
- Donating $1 million to the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities, a national program that offers cutting-edge training in entrepreneurship and small-business management at no cost to post-9/11 veterans.
- Becoming the exclusive national Humana Medicare Advantage (MA) plan provider for Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), marketing Humana MA plans to the organization’s 700,000+ members and their spouses who are eligible for Medicare, and providing guidance for those who will be aging into Medicare.
Humana Government Business is a wholly owned subsidiary building upon Humana’s capabilities to provide administrative, integrated healthcare and wellness solutions to the DoD and VA.
Veterans looking to learn more about Humana’s hiring program should visit www.jobs.net/jobs/Humana-Veterans.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders;
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings;
- Most recent investor conference presentations;
- Quarterly earnings news releases;
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls;
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors);
- Corporate Governance information.
About Humana Government Business
Humana Government Business Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Humana Inc. headquartered in Louisville, Ky. Humana Government Business provides administrative health care and wellness solutions to government customers. In addition to working with the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs, Humana Government Business provides Medicare and Medicaid support in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.