WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Tax Talk Today®, an online series of webcasts educating tax professionals on current and critical tax issues, announced the topics for its January program, Individual Tax Law Update 2012 – Once More into the Breach. The Live webcast is scheduled for Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 2 PM ET.
“With the IRS and industry experts, viewers will gain a first-hand understanding of tax rules applicable to individual taxpayers filing 2012 returns”
Our panel of experts includes: Jason Langley, IRS Acting Senior Technical Advisor, Tax Forms & Publications; David Mellem, EA, Partner, Ashwaubenon Tax Professionals and Paul Roberts, EA, Executive Editor, Tax Materials, Inc. Complete program description.
The broadcast will be Archived for 12 months for viewers who are unable to watch the Live program, or wish to complete a Self-Study CPE program. Viewers can earn 2 CPEs for completing this program, and may email questions before and during the program.
Specific topics that will be discussed:
How the IRS is dealing with the 2013 Filing Season
- When will IRS accept returns
- Delays in producing forms, instructions, schedules, processing and refunds
Impact on practitioners
- Understanding the new law
- Software providers
- More extensions
IMPACT of AMERICAN TAXPAYER RELIEF ACT of 2012
Alternative Minimum Tax
- No more patches--AMT relief made permanent
- AMT exemption amounts for 2012 and 2013
- Indexing for inflation
Retroactive extensions of expiring tax provisions for 2012
- Education expenses
- State and local sales tax deduction
- Mortgage insurance premiums deduction
- Qualified principle residence indebtedness
- Variety of energy tax benefits
Extensions (or not) of tax provisions expiring for 2013
- Payroll tax reduction
- Individual tax rates
- Reduced tax rate on dividends and capital gains
- Phase out of itemized deductions and personal exemptions
- Marriage penalty
- Child tax credit
- Earned income tax credit
- Adoption credit
- Employer provided child care credit
- Dependent care tax credit
- American opportunity tax credit
- Roth IRA conversions
- Unemployment compensation
- Rate changes
- Basic exclusion amount
Affordable Care Act taxes affecting individuals for 2013
- 3.8% investment income tax and proposed regulations
- 0.9% Medicare tax increase and proposed regulations
- Repayment of first time homebuyer credit
“With the IRS and industry experts, viewers will gain a first-hand understanding of tax rules applicable to individual taxpayers filing 2012 returns,” stated Lisbeth Bagnold, President & CEO of Tax Talk Today, Inc.
Viewers needing Continuing Professional Education credit (CPE Credit) can take advantage of a Tax Talk Today subscription price of $240.00 or $16.00/credit for 15 CPE credits, which includes all 8 programs. Up to 30 CPE credits can be purchased. Tax Talk Today is an IRS Approved Continuing Education Provider.
About Tax Talk Today, The Tax Show for the Tax Pro
An 8-program, 15 CPE, webcast series, designed to educate tax professionals with reliable information about complex tax issues. Tax Talk Today features roundtable discussions and real-time interaction with industry professionals, and IRS officials. Tax Talk Today collaborates with the IRS and the NAEA to provide content meeting CPE Credit requirements for CPAs, enrolled agents, RTRP candidates, attorneys, and all professionals needing CPE credits in the tax area. Programs are available Live, Archived or Podcast. Contact Paul Lamonia at 202-559-9330 or Lamonia@TaxTalkToday.com or visit www.TaxTalkToday.com.