WATERTOWN, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--athenahealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHN), a leading provider of cloud-based electronic health record (EHR), practice management, and care coordination services to medical groups and health systems, made significant advances in 2012 towards its vision of being the health information backbone for the health care industry. Highlights from the past year included:
“It’s incredible to think back on what we accomplished as a company in health care this past year. With our clients, partners and supporters, we continue to move the needle within an industry that is still very much dominated by paper and legacy software and resistant to disruptive innovation”
- More Disruption Please (MDP) Took Hold — Part of a broad movement to disrupt health care and give entrepreneurs a unique platform to innovate, MDP made major headway in its second year. The athenahealth-led initiative hosted its second annual MDP conference where more than 100 ‘disruptors’ discussed how to bring about much-needed innovation and collaboration to health care. Selected innovators become part of athenahealth’s platform, achieving immediate scale, and bringing the benefits of their leading-edge services to a broad population of care givers and patients. Today the MDP ecosystem is made up of 800 companies and individuals, including healthcare leaders such as iTriage, LifeImage and M*Modal.
- Meaningful Use Attestation Rates Outpaced Industry — athenahealth led the industry in Stage 1 Year 1 Meaningful Use attestation with 85 percent of eligible athenaClinicals® providers attesting; this compares with the national success rate of just 27 percent of eligible providers who successfully attested. For Stage 1 Year 2, 94 percent of athenaClinicals providers are on track to attest or are less than two measures away. As of Q3 2012, athenahealth collected $85 million in incentive dollars for its clients.
- ANSI 5010 Conversion Didn’t Miss a Beat — With 15 million medical billing transactions flowing through athenaNet every month, the ANSI 5010 conversion had the potential to impact nearly every transaction and, in turn, most clients. As such, athenahealth slated a gradual implementation over a full year. At the beginning of Q4 2011, less than 1 percent of claims were submitted in 5010; by the first week of January 2012, more than 85 percent of claims were submitted in the new format. Today, more than 97 percent of athenahealth's transactions are exchanged in ANSI 5010.
- Strategic Acquisitions Helped Clients Reach ACO Status and Thrive with Risk-Based Payment Models — The acquisitions of Proxys, a cloud-based care coordination services provider, and Healthcare Data Services, a cloud-based health care data analysis and population health management solutions provider, added breadth to the athenaNet platform and significantly expanded athenahealth’s capacity to help clients manage risk-based payment models. athenahealth is better positioned than ever before to support models for Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs), Patient-Centered Medical Homes and Federally Qualified Health Centers.
- Expanded Industry-Leading Insight and Analysis — Committed to doing more with the unparalleled data flowing through its cloud-based network, which is comprised of more than 40 million patient records and updated continuously by 38,000-plus providers, athenahealth launched several data “View” initiatives, including a first look at patient referral patterns through ReferralViewSM.
- Increased Momentum with Hospitals and Health Systems — In addition to signing on with the 1,200 physicians in Health Management Associates’ network, Children’s Hospital Central California, and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Medical Group, athenahealth moved into emerging care models through its partnership with MedExpress Urgent Care. Other significant new client wins included ProMedica’s 400 providers and Mid Dakota Clinic, which for the first time put athenahealth in all 48 states in the continental U.S.
- Sustained Company Growth and Expansion of Network — athenahealth is on track to deliver on its 30 percent revenue growth target in 2012, adding nearly as many providers to its network by the end of Q3 2012 as were added by end of year in 2011. As of Q3 2012, there were 38,145 providers on athenaNet, with 5,405 having joined since 2011. Full-year 2012 network growth is on track to exceed 2011.
The health care industry took note of athenahealth’s disruptive ways in 2012 and recognized the company for its unique combination of services, innovation, company growth, and culture. 2012 honors included:
- Best in KLAS: athenahealth’s cloud-based EHR, athenaClinicals, and cloud-based practice management service, athenaCollector®, were both ranked #1 among 1-10 physicians. athenaCollector was also ranked #1 among the 11-75 physician segment.
- MIT Technology Review’s “Top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World”
- #4 on Forbes’ “America's 25 Fastest-Growing Tech Companies” list
- The Boston Globe’s “Annual Globe 100 list”
- Deloitte’s “Technology Fast 500™ list”
- Boston Business Journal “Best Places to Work”
- Boston Globe "Top Places to Work"
“It’s incredible to think back on what we accomplished as a company in health care this past year. With our clients, partners and supporters, we continue to move the needle within an industry that is still very much dominated by paper and legacy software and resistant to disruptive innovation,” said Jonathan Bush, CEO and President, athenahealth. “There is still a humbling amount of work ahead of us as we aim to achieve our ultimate vision of being the health information backbone that makes health care work as it should—but there is no doubt in my mind that 2012 gets us closer to that goal.”
athenahealth, Inc. is a leading provider of cloud-based Best in KLAS electronic health record (EHR), practice management, and care coordination services to medical groups and health systems. athenahealth’s mission is to be the most trusted service to medical care givers, helping them do well by doing the right thing. For more information, please visit www.athenahealth.com or call 888-652-8200.