BOCA RATON, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Social media has long been a powerful tool for raising awareness and today social sites are being used to raise funds. In 2012, social networks became such successful sources for contributions that the concept is now commonly called social giving. MDG Advertising’s new infographic conveys this global trend toward social giving.
“Our infographic illustrates that using social media, online social movements, and crowdfunding platforms for fundraising is driving donations in a digital direction”
“Our infographic illustrates that using social media, online social movements, and crowdfunding platforms for fundraising is driving donations in a digital direction,” said Joanne Del Gigante, vice president at MDG. “It shows the most popular platforms and most impressive financial figures in social giving today.”
MDG’s infographic features these statistics:
- Nonprofits have discovered the benefits of social networking, with Facebook the favorite among 98%, Twitter used by 74%, and YouTube chosen by 66% of organizations.
- Friends’ donations have a strong social influence, with a contact’s mention of their contribution driving 68% of people to seek information about the charity and 39% to donate to that cause.
- Fundraising events get big benefits from using social media, with Twitter mentions raising up to 10 times more money.
- The online social movement, #GivingTuesday, raised 53% more in 2012, receiving $10 million in online donations that day.
- Online crowdfunding platforms are sparking greater donations. In 2012, crowdfunding platforms increased by 60% and they raised 91% more funds.
- Social giving trends to watch for include increasing dependence on Facebook for fundraising, support from Google+ in merging social giving into Google features, and the power of Twitter in spreading the message to make online donations.
View the infographic at MDG Advertising.
About MDG Advertising
Founded in 1999, MDG Advertising has a leading reputation for developing targeted and integrated 360° marketing solutions. Clients benefiting from a competitive advantage developed by MDG include: The Breakers Palm Beach, Dental Care Alliance, IBM Southeast Employees’ Federal Credit Union, The Seagate Hotel & Spa, Carls Patio, Brain Balance Achievement Centers, South Florida Fair, MDVIP, Round Hill Hotel and Villas, TooJay’s, Upfront Foods, Signature Consultants, World Fuel Services, Benetrends, Max Planck Florida Institute, and HCA East Florida.
For more information, visit www.mdgadvertising.com.