NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--On January 11, 2013, New York University Stern School of Business will convene its faculty thought leaders and some of India’s top corporate leaders and policymakers for a full-day event entitled, “India in the 21st Century: From Potential to Progress.” The participants will investigate the unique opportunities and challenges facing India, an emerging market leader and driving force in the global economy.
“India in the 21st Century: From Potential to Progress.”
The conference will include sessions on the future of India’s urban growth, valuation in the Indian context, the impact of corporate governance and building India’s infrastructure.
“We are driving the conversation around the world about the most pressing issues that will affect growth in the 21st century. How India conducts business, serves its citizens and interacts with the world is a critical part of this global conversation,” said Geeta Menon, dean of NYU Stern’s Undergraduate College, and conference host. Dean Menon is among the first women deans of a top-ranked business school who is Indian-born and was educated mostly in India.
NYU Stern has meaningful connections with India. More than 300 Stern alumni live or work in India. At the Stern School, nearly 100 percent of Undergraduate College business students have at least one global academic experience, and among their options for global study is a short-term immersion course, Stern Around the World: India, which includes an academic trip to Mumbai. Stern also offers a Doing Business in… graduate-level course in India in which MBA students study its business and culture in the country. According to the College Board, in India, NYU is the 5th most searched university online. Stern’s inaugural India Business Forum aims to deepen ties by convening faculty, alumni, students, and the Indian business and policy community to discuss India’s role in 21st century global economic growth.
NYU and NYU Stern faculty who will participate in the Forum include:
- John Sexton, President, NYU
- Geeta Menon, Dean, Undergraduate College, NYU Stern
- Rohit Deo, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Undergraduate College
- Aswath Damodaran, Kerschner Family Chair in Finance Education
- Paul Romer, Professor of Economics and Director of the Urbanization Project
- Marti G. Subrahmanyam, Charles E. Merrill Professor of Finance, Economics and International Business
- Arun Sundararajan, Associate Professor, Information, Operations and Management Sciences, and NEC Faculty Fellow
Industry leaders and policymakers who will participate in the Forum include:
- Gautam Bhandari (MBA ’01), Former Managing Director and Head of Asia, Morgan Stanley Infrastructure
- Rama Bijapurkar, Market Strategy Consultant and Independent Director
- Mihir (Mickey) Doshi (BS ’81), Managing Director and Country Head, Credit Suisse Securities (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- N. R. Narayana Murthy, Founder and Chairman Emeritus, Infosys Limited
- Sanjay Nayar, Chief Executive Officer and Country Head, KKR India
- Shri Nandan Nilekani, Chairman, Unique Identification Authority of India
- Ankur Sahu, Managing Director and Co-Head Asia Pacific, Principal Investment Area, Goldman Sachs
- Sundeep Sikka, President and CEO, Reliance Capital Asset Management Ltd.
- Venkatraman Thyagarajan (Thyagi), Former SVP & Regional Director, GlaxoSmithKline Asia, and Board Member, TCS, Varian Medical Systems Inc., and Murugappa Group
Access the complete conference agenda online.
If you are a member of the media and plan to attend the NYU Stern India Business Forum, please contact the following to reserve a seat:
Joanne Hvala, email@example.com,
212-998-0995, NYU Stern
Jessica Neville, firstname.lastname@example.org, 416-516-7677, NYU Stern
Erin Potter, email@example.com, +001 917 699 4252, NYU Stern
Vasudha Rao, firstname.lastname@example.org, + 91 9820347118, PR Pundit
NYU Stern will also broadcast the conference via live webcast on January 11, 2013, beginning at 9am IST.
Join the conversation on Twitter using #SternIndia.
About NYU Stern
Located in the heart of Greenwich Village, New York University Stern School of Business is one of the world’s premier research and teaching institutions. NYU Stern offers a broad portfolio of graduate and undergraduate programs, all of them informed and enriched by the dynamism, energy and resources of one of the world’s business capitals. Follow NYU Stern on Twitter at @NYUStern and find additional information at www.stern.nyu.edu.