DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Men in Washington, D.C., are the most likely among adults in America’s largest cities to have travel plans this holiday season, according to new research released today by private vacation club Inspirato. Seventy percent of male Washingtonians plan to take at least one trip for personal reasons between Thanksgiving and the new year, compared to only 50 percent of D.C. women and 49 percent of all adults in America’s largest cities.
The survey, conducted online by Harris Interactive for Inspirato, polled more than 2,500 adults in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
Washington, D.C., tied with San Francisco as the cities with the highest percentage of residents (59 percent) planning to travel for personal reasons over the holidays, defined by the survey as beginning around Thanksgiving and ending right after the new year. Residents in Boston (41 percent), Los Angeles (45 percent) and Philadelphia (45 percent) are least likely to report travel plans.
A third (32 percent) of male Washingtonians plan to travel more than once over the upcoming holiday season, with 9 percent reporting they will travel at least three times. Among D.C. men traveling, nearly all (95 percent) plan to travel outside their state – the highest percentage of all travelers polled; 57 percent plan to travel to another state in a different region. Only 36 percent of adults overall in the major U.S. cities plan to travel to a state outside of their region.
Additional survey findings include:
- The majority (73 percent) of holiday travelers this year will do so via car or SUV. But 46 percent of younger adults (ages 18-49) plan to travel by plane (compared to only 34 percent of adults ages 50 and over), as do 48 percent of adults with incomes of $75,000 or more (compared to 31 percent of those with lower incomes).
- Most travelers (72 percent) plan to visit another state this holiday season. Five percent are traveling to Canada or Mexico, while another 8 percent are leaving North America entirely.
- Men overall are more likely to be traveling for personal reasons this holiday season than women (54 vs. 45 percent).
- On average, travelers are planning to spend around $1,300 on their upcoming holiday travel, including transportation, accommodations, food and entertainment. Male travelers from Washington, D.C., plan to spend approximately $1,430. Female travelers from D.C. plan to spend approximately $718.
- The top reason adults cite for not traveling this holiday season is a lack of funds (47 percent). Overall, women (51 percent) are more likely than men (41 percent) to cite finances as a reason not to travel this season. Interestingly, adults earning $75,000 or more per year are more likely than those earning less than $75,000 to point to high travel expenses during the holidays as a reason not to leave home (26 percent vs. 13 percent).
This study was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Inspirato between October 4-15, 2012 among 2,507 respondents 18 years or older in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. No estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated; a full methodology is available. Data tables can be found at: www.inspirato.com/HolidaySurvey.
Designed specifically for a new generation of luxury consumers, Inspirato (In – spuh – rah – toh) offers the best of destination club consistency and service, together with unmatched value, flexibility and low-cost membership. Our members have access to an ever-growing portfolio of luxury vacation homes in the world's top destinations, including California, the Caribbean, Colorado, France, Hawaii, Italy, London, Mexico, New York City and more. By leasing vacation properties (rather than owning), Inspirato is able to keep membership fees low, offer up to 50 percent off market rates, and easily add homes and destinations as demand increases. Our innovative business model has led to rapid growth since our January 2011 launch, placing Inspirato at the forefront of the "luxury for less" movement. For more information, please visit www.inspirato.com.
About Harris Interactive
Harris Interactive is one of the world's leading market research firms, leveraging research, technology, and business acumen to transform relevant insight into actionable foresight. Known widely for the Harris Poll® and for pioneering innovative research methodologies, Harris offers proprietary solutions in the areas of market and customer insight, corporate brand and reputation strategy, and marketing, advertising, public relations and communications research. Harris possesses expertise in a wide range of industries including health care, technology, public affairs, energy, telecommunications, financial services, insurance, media, retail, restaurant, and consumer package goods. Additionally, Harris has a portfolio of multi-client offerings that complement our custom solutions while maximizing our client's research investment. Serving clients in more than 215 countries and territories through our North American and European offices, Harris specializes in delivering research solutions that help us - and our clients - stay ahead of what's next. For more information, please visit www.harrisinteractive.com.