PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As part of the company’s overall efforts to help customers save energy and money, on November 1 PECO filed a plan with the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission for enhanced PECO Smart Ideas energy efficiency programs for residential and business customers. Following PUC review and approval the new programs would be available beginning in June, 2013.
“Our customers depend on us to find new and innovative ways to help them manage their energy costs”
Since its launch in October 2009, more than 400,000 customers have participated in PECO Smart Ideas – making the program one of the most successful utility-run energy efficiency and demand response programs in the Pennsylvania. Through their participation customers have reduced energy use by more than 1.135 million megawatt hours (MWh) – saving more than $163 million in annual energy costs and receiving more than $84 million in rebates and incentives.
“Our customers depend on us to find new and innovative ways to help them manage their energy costs,” said Liz Murphy, vice president of Governmental and External Affairs. “And, the best way for our customers to reduce their energy costs is to control how they use energy – saving energy means saving money. We are thrilled with the response by our customers to PECO Smart Ideas, and look forward to adding these exciting new programs to our energy efficiency portfolio.”
Included in PECO’s filing are seven new programs for residential and business customers as well as the continuation of six existing programs. Specifically:
- PECO Smart Home Rebates – Provides rebates for eligible HVAC equipment and appliances, and retail discounts on eligible CFL and LED bulbs
- PECO Smart Appliance Recycling – Includes a customer rebate and free pick up and recycling of eligible older, working refrigerators and freezers
- PECO Smart House Call – Provides home energy audits for electric heat customers, and home energy assessments for non electric heat customers. Limited additional energy efficiency improvements also are completed free of charge
- PECO Smart Builder Rebates – Includes builder rebates for new construction of electric heated homes that meet the Energy Star Homes Certification
- PECO Smart Usage Profile – Free comparative energy usage reports for high use customers to help identify ways to reduce energy costs
- PECO Smart Energy Saver – An innovative in school education program for grades 5-7
- Low Income Energy Efficiency (LEEP) – Provides a free home weatherization audit, free CFL bulbs and energy efficient refrigerator upgrade for qualified low income customers
- PECO Smart Equipment Incentives (C&I) – Provides incentives to all commercial and industrial customers who install high efficiency electric equipment
- PECO Smart Equipment Incentives (GINP) – Provides technical assistance and incentives to all government, institutional and non-profit customers who install high efficiency electric equipment
- PECO Smart Construction Incentives – Includes incentives for new construction and major facility renovation for commercial, industrial, government, institutional and non-profit customers
- PECO Smart Business Solutions – Provides energy assessments and energy efficiency measures for small business customers using less than 100 kilowatts of electricity a month
- PECO Smart Multi-family Solutions – Provides select energy efficiency measures and incentives for additional work for multi-family building owners and tenants
- PECO Smart On-Site – Includes incentives for customers installing combined heat and power technology
The programs are part of the company’s ongoing support of Pennsylvania Act 129 and specifically the second phase of Act 129 energy efficiency and conservation targets. Phase two of Act 129 requires Pennsylvania utilities to develop programs to help customers reduce energy use. PECO’s proposed programs would help customers reduce energy use by 2.9 percent – or 1,125,852 MWh by May 31, 2016. The company’s filing is expected to be reviewed by the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission by February 28, 2013. To view PECO’s filing visit www.peco.com. To learn more visit www.peco.com/SmartIdeas or call 888-5-PECO-SAVE.
Based in Philadelphia, PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC). PECO serves 1.6 million electric and 494,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania and employs about 2,400 people in the region. PECO delivered 82.1 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 38.1 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity in 2011. Founded in 1881, PECO is one of the Greater Philadelphia Region's most active corporate citizens, providing leadership, volunteer and financial support to numerous arts and culture, education, environmental, economic development and community programs and organizations.
If you are a member of the media and would like to receive PECO news releases via e-mail please send your e-mail address to PECO.Communication@exeloncorp.com