NEW YORK--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--At Adobe’s annual Digital Publishing Summit, Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced a series of groundbreaking new features for Adobe® Digital Publishing Suite (DPS) that will allow media companies and corporate publishers to deliver unparalleled reach and monetize their unique content in new ways. Among the new features are Content Viewer for iPhone, social sharing, expanded font licensing and enhanced integration with Adobe Creative Suite® 6, a milestone release, creating an unbeatable combination for media and corporate organizations. Adobe is live blogging from the Summit at blogs.adobe.com/dpsnyc2012.
“As the number of tablets and mobile devices increases, so do the potential readers of our magazine, and we must be there to meet them on the devices they choose”
Adobe also announced Meredith Corporation has chosen Digital Publishing Suite to produce and distribute its leading brands, including Better Homes and Gardens, Parents and Fitness, to multiple channels. Digital Publishing Suite is the industry-leading cross-platform solution with 850 customers worldwide who have published more than 1,700 active applications and delivered more than 25 million digital issues to iPad, Kindle Fire and Android™ tablets since April 2011. Adobe is currently distributing 120,000 publications every day to tablet readers and continually evolves Digital Publishing Suite to keep pace with rapidly changing industry needs. The new advancements include:
- Content Viewer for iPhone – The new Content Viewer for iPhone allows media and corporate organizations to target digital publication delivery across iPhone and iPod Touch devices in addition to the iPad, Kindle Fire and Android tablets, instantly expanding reach and access of content to over 220 million iPhone and iPod Touch owners globally. At the Digital Publishing Summit, The New Yorker, a Condé Nast publication, will be the first to show what the magazine might look like in the new Content Viewer.
- Social Sharing – New social sharing capabilities encourage readers and customers to share articles on Facebook, Twitter and via email directly from within their Digital Publishing Suite applications, enabling broad content proliferation, article sampling, and content metering that will help build publication brands and turn readers into paying subscribers. DPS customers can use this functionality to configure the articles available for sharing, the social media channels in which they can be shared, and the selection and quantity of articles viewed before a purchase decision is required. In conjunction with Adobe’s release of this feature, Wenner Media announced the launch of Us Weekly for iPad using Digital Publishing Suite. The application will be available for download on May 17 in Apple Newsstand. Wenner Media will preview social sharing in Us Weekly for iPad at the Adobe Digital Publishing Summit and expects to launch Us Weekly fully enabled for social sharing soon—the first digital magazine to provide these social sharing capabilities to readers.
- Extended Font Embedding Rights – Digital Publishing Suite customers can now enjoy extended rights from a select portion of the Adobe Type Library. Digital Publishing Suite customers who license Adobe Type Library fonts directly from Adobe, and who create content published in .folio files (which can include bitmaps, PDF and HTML) can embed these selected fonts inside their publications, with no additional font license or cost. With this set of high quality and award-winning Adobe fonts, Digital Publishing Suite customers will have a broad and fully-licensed typographic palette of over 800 fonts for any creative direction. On retina devices like the new iPad, access to these fonts enables designers to ensure typography remains crisp, clear, and consistent with the creative direction of the publication, while respecting intellectual property provisions.
- Alternate Layouts in Adobe InDesign® CS6 – Design and production teams can save time and accelerate workflows by using Alternate Layout functionality in InDesign CS6 software to repurpose a single, primary InDesign layout for publication to different size devices such as the iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire and other mobile and tablet devices. Using liquid page rules in the InDesign CS6 layout, designers can use visual page guidelines to indicate how InDesign should intelligently arrange and resize content without requiring manual resize of each layout. Alternate Layout will transform publishing workflows by allowing content creators to significantly reduce the amount of time required to publish content to devices with different screen resolutions and aspect ratios, giving publishers and corporations the ability to efficiently and rapidly generate publications across multiple devices.
- Digital Publishing Suite Now Integrates with Adobe Edge – Adobe Edge preview software enables designers to create animated HTML5 content with Web standards, which can be easily placed in Digital Publishing Suite applications using InDesign. Combined with the interactive overlays in Digital Publishing Suite, designers can take advantage of the intuitive timeline and coding capabilities in Adobe Edge to create custom interactivity that increases engagement with editorial and advertising content. As part of the recently launched Adobe Creative Cloud™, Adobe Edge preview includes a new “publish to DPS” feature for InDesign CS6. The commercial release of Adobe Edge is expected later this year. Fast Company is the first to use Edge animation in their magazine.
“As readers voraciously consume mobile content, they’re demanding dynamic, shareable reading experiences across tablet and mobile phones,” said Jim Guerard, vice president and general manager of Creative and Media Solutions, Adobe. “Adobe’s digital publishing innovations propel the industry forward by allowing publishers to reach and monetize an unprecedented number of consumers hungry for dynamic, one-of-a-kind mobile reading experiences.”
Meredith Corporation Selects DPS
Meredith Corporation joins a roster of leading media companies and brands who have recently selected Digital Publishing Suite for their tablet publication needs including Fast Company, PC Magazine, Roland, Source Interlink and Honeywell. With Digital Publishing Suite, media and corporate publishers can leverage the powerful capabilities of the new CS6 toolset and tight integration with Adobe Digital Marketing Suite* to cost‐effectively create and distribute visually immersive digital content on a broad set of tablet devices, in addition to employing unrivaled analytics to optimize their business. These companies join publishers such as Condé Nast and National Geographic, who were early adopters of the technology.
“We’re excited to publish our leading brands to multiple channels using Digital Publishing Suite,” said Liz Schimel, executive vice president and chief digital officer, Meredith Corporation. “With our tablet editions, we’re looking forward to delivering content that entertains and delights our readers on these new devices – and that also drives additional revenue and subscriptions.”
“As the number of tablets and mobile devices increases, so do the potential readers of our magazine, and we must be there to meet them on the devices they choose,” said Bill Marr, creative director, National Geographic magazine. “Using Alternate Layout in Adobe InDesign CS6 in combination with Digital Publishing Suite will allow our staff to modify layouts quickly to take into account various screen resolutions and aspect ratios, while preserving the essence of the original design so our look and brand are consistent across the marketplace.”
About Adobe Digital Publishing Suite
Digital Publishing Suite is a set of turnkey hosted services and viewer technology that tightly integrates with Adobe Creative Suite 6 products. Using Digital Publishing Suite in combination with Adobe InDesign CS6 allows traditional media publishers, corporate organizations, ad agencies as well as individual freelance designers and small design firms to publish, distribute, monetize and optimize a new class of innovative digital magazines, newspapers, ads and corporate publications on leading tablets including the Apple iPad, Apple iPhone, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy and other Android tablet devices. The Digital Publishing Suite includes Enterprise, Professional and Single Editions.
Pricing and Availability
To access product information including features and pricing, visit www.adobe.com/products/digitalpublishingsuite. A list of partners in the Digital Publishing Suite worldwide reseller network is available at www.adobe.com/products/digital-publishing-suite-family/buying-guide-resellers. For a list of over 800 fonts available for embedding in the Digital Publishing Suite .folio format, please see www.adobe.com/type/browser/legal/additional_licenses.html.
For a list of customer apps, please visit the Digital Publishing Suite gallery at www.blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishinggallery.
About Adobe Systems Incorporated
Adobe is changing the world through digital experiences. For more information, visit www.adobe.com.
*Adobe Digital Marketing Suite is available separately.
© 2012 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved. Adobe, the Adobe logo, Digital Publishing Suite, Creative Suite, Creative Cloud, InDesign and Digital Marketing Suite are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.