STOCKTON, Calif.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--First Priority GreenFleet, a national leader in clean transportation solutions, is partnering with the Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District (SMAQMD) to deploy 29 electric school buses and charging infrastructure throughout Sacramento County, including Twin Rivers, Elk Grove and Sacramento City Unified School Districts. Funded in-part by a grant from the California Air Resources Board through California Climate Investments, the project will provide the largest ever US deployment of zero-emission school buses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, eliminate mobile criteria pollutants, and provide sustainable transportation for school children in California’s capitol.
“This project is a great example of how the Cap-and-Trade program is fighting climate change while improving local air quality and delivering benefits to disadvantaged communities.”
School buses are the largest segment of mass transit in the United States, carrying twice as many passengers as the entire US transit bus and rail segments combined. Existing diesel school bus fleets disproportionately expose school children to toxic air contaminants and associated health risks. This large-scale deployment will eliminate mobile criteria pollutants and provide health co-benefits to both school children and the greater community.
First Priority GreenFleet, a division of First Priority Global, Ltd, is excited to serve school districts with high quality, zero-emission school buses, focusing on eliminating toxic exposures and improving safety for students. In partnership with CARB and SMAQMD, First Priority GreenFleet will deploy the 100% battery-electric, zero-emission eLion Type C school buses and the Trans Tech all-electric eSeries , built on the Ford E450 chassis with an all-electric power train developed by Motiv Power Systems, as well as oversee the implementation of the charging infrastructure with EV Connect and the deployment of the Data Management System to optimize charging. The Project will demonstrate the considerable advancements in electrification of school bus fleets and charging optimization, including Vehicle to Grid Integration (VGI), while significantly reducing toxic diesel exposures to school children on the buses.
The goals of the project are to demonstrate that commercially available zero-emission school buses have the lowest cost of ownership, substantially reduce maintenance costs, improve operational performance, and are optimally suited to serve the needs of school districts and sustainably transport California’s kids to and from school.
“We are thrilled to partner with the California Air Resources Board and the Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District to provide zero-emission buses to the school districts in California’s capitol,” said Alex Cherepakhov, Chairman and CEO of First Priority Global. “First Priority GreenFleet is proud to be delivering on the largest US deployment of zero-emission school buses to California that will eliminate mobile toxic exposure for school children, provide health benefits for the Sacramento region, and help California achieve its strong environmental policies and goals.”
The Sacramento zero-emission school bus deployment is part of California Climate Investments, a statewide program that puts billions of cap-and-trade dollars to work reducing greenhouse gas emissions, strengthening the economy and improving public health and the environment—particularly in disadvantaged communities. The cap-and-trade program also creates a financial incentive for industries to invest in clean technologies and develop innovative ways to reduce pollution. California Climate Investments projects include affordable housing, renewable energy, public transportation, zero-emission vehicles, environmental restoration, more sustainable agriculture, recycling and much more. At least 35 percent of these investments are made in disadvantaged and low-income communities. For more information, visit California Climate Investments.
- Larry Greene, Executive Director, Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District: “The Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District is thrilled to be able to be a partner in a program that will bring these zero-emission school buses to Sacramento where they will provide safe and efficient transportation to our schools and cleaner air for the students and the communities they serve.”
- Peter Christensen, Manager of Innovative Heavy Duty Strategies at CARB: “This project is a great example of how the Cap-and-Trade program is fighting climate change while improving local air quality and delivering benefits to disadvantaged communities.”
- Joint Statement from Senator Richard Pan, Assemblymember Ken Cooley, Assemblymember Jim Cooper and Assemblymember Kevin McCarty: “We are grateful for the Cap-and-Trade investments for zero-emission school buses in our communities in order to eliminate toxic diesel exposures and provide health co-benefits to both school children and the greater region.”
- Timothy Shannon, Director of Transportation, Twin Rivers Unified School District: “We are excited to participate in the zero-emission school bus program and extend awareness by sharing the buses with neighboring school districts. The project will also reduce our fuel costs, and advance our commitment to cleaner air for California’s children.”
- Jill Gayaldo, Director of Transportation Services, Elk Grove Unified School District: “The Elk Grove Unified School District has always been a leader in alternative fuels. We are very pleased to participate in this partnership to provide clean-running, safe buses to our students and our community. We embrace the opportunity to lead the way into zero-emission technologies.
- Ronald Hill, Director of Transportation Services, Sacramento Unified School District: “Our district is pleased to participate in the program. Our mission is to provide the safest form of transportation to our students, and we’re looking forward to delivering a cleaner air experience as we deploy these buses.”
- First Priority Global on LinkedIn
- First Priority Emergency Vehicles on LinkedIn
- First Priority GreenFleet on LinkedIn
- First Priority Emergency vehicles on Facebook
- First Priority GreenFleet on Facebook
- First Priority EV South on Facebook
About First Priority:
First Priority Global Ltd, the parent company to First Priority Emergency Vehicles Inc. and First Priority GreenFleet Ltd, is one of the country’s leading suppliers of public safety, emergency response and clean transportation solutions. Established nearly 20 years ago, the company ranks among the top five independent dealers and manufacturers in the United States for Emergency Medical Service, Municipal Conversion and Commercial Electric Vehicles supported by the largest independent commercial EV Service network in the country. Additionally the company proudly distributes and services KME Fire Trucks for whom it is the number three dealer in the United States. With a national footprint and a heritage grounded in innovation and quality, First Priority has developed the depth and experience to serve fleets in both the public and private sectors. http://firstpriorityglobal.net and http://www.fpgreenfleet.net