SARASOTA, Fla.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Ideal Protein, provider of a medically designed and developed protocol for weight management, announced the availability of their educational video, “Have the Weight Loss Conversation: Talking to Patients about Weight Loss” today. The release of the eight-minute video comes on the heels of a shocking prediabetes update from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Eighty-six million American adults have the condition – and nine out of 10 people don’t know that they have it.
“What would it take for you to be more ready?”
American Diabetes Association Alert Day, March 28, 2017, is a day to raise awareness about the prevalence of type 2 diabetes in American adults, and encourage people to learn about their risk for the disease. According to the CDC, excess weight is one of the major risk factors for prediabetes, which is the pre-cursor for full scale diabetes.
“In light of the alarming prediabetes update from the CDC, talking about weight with patients has taken on a new urgency,” says Tim Callahan, President of Ideal Protein. “Education around weight and health is critical. Doctors might avoid talking about weight because it’s a sensitive subject, and the antiquated advice of ‘eat less, exercise more’ does not typically promote sustainable results. It takes complete lifestyle transformation, involving education, physician oversight and one-on-one coaching to achieve sustainable health. Having the conversation is the first step, and it is our hope that this video helps open up important dialogue.”
According to the CDC, over 70 percent of Americans are overweight or obese. Overweight and obesity can be a pre-cursor for many serious health conditions, including diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, stroke, many cancers, degenerative joint disease and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NASH).
Even when physicians discuss weight with their patients, few seem to be hearing the message. According to a Nielsen Strategic Health Perspectives survey sponsored by the Council of Accountable Physician Practices released in June 2016, while 90 percent of physicians say they counsel patients on adopting better eating habits, only 19 percent of patients report that they received this advice. Also, the survey revealed that while 52 percent of physicians report they recommend weight loss programs, only five percent of patients report hearing this.
Ideal Protein’s video offers comprehensive guidance on having the weight loss conversation, and features role plays of realistic patient/doctor scenarios. The video recommends a non-judgmental, helpful approach in talking to patients who would benefit from weight loss, following these specific steps with their patients to enable successful discussion:
- Screen Body Mass Index (BMI): All patients’ BMI should be measured on an ongoing basis, to identify those who need weight loss counseling.
- Use neutral, non-judgmental terminology. To keep weight management discussions positive, terminology that may be offensive or implies blame should be avoided.
- Set a collaborative tone. Patients should be asked about their comfort level in talking about health and weight, including their weight history and how excess weight affects them.
- Determine the patient’s willingness to address weight. A partnership can be established by setting small, achievable weight loss goals with patients. Patients should be encouraged knowing that a weight loss of as little as 10 percent can reduce their risk for weight related health conditions.
- Handling reluctance. Patients who express little to no interest in addressing their weight could be asked, "What would it take for you to be more ready?"
- Positive reinforcement. Patients should be praised for any progress, and should feel assured that their physician is beside them through the weight loss journey, even if they regain weight. Managing a chronic disease is a long term endeavor and is not easy.
The full length version of “Have the Conversation: Talking to your Patients about Weight” can be viewed at Ideal Protein’s corporate YouTube Channel. To join the ranks of healthcare providers fighting obesity, tweet @DrsFightObesity or use #DoctorsFightingObesity to keep the conversation going.
To see how physicians and other healthcare practitioners are helping their patients lose weight, click here.
About Ideal Protein
The Ideal Protein Protocol is medically designed and developed and is consistent with evidence-based guidelines for long-term weight loss management. The approach is a proven, four phase protocol that features two key components: a 12 month stabilization period and healthy lifestyle education to help maintain long lasting results. It incorporates ongoing one-on-one coaching, customized lifestyle guidance tools, access to educational, inspirational and interactive resources, and a plan that is outcomes-focused to maintain healthy, long-term results. The protocol tackles the root cause of Metabolic Syndrome – the body’s overproduction of insulin – by restricting consumption of sugars and carbohydrates, achieving optimal results through lowering poor fat intake, while maintaining adequate protein intake to preserve muscle mass. Our protocol is available through Licensed Healthcare Providers, Trained clinics and coaches. For more information, visit http://www.idealprotein.com/ca/healthcare-partnerships.