SAN FRANCISCO--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Social video platform Twitch today announced it will rebrand and enhance the Curse App as the Twitch Desktop App, a communication tool that serves as a natural extension of Twitch’s main platform. The Twitch Desktop App features community servers, voice/video messaging, and game content distribution to represent a unified communication tool for the Twitch community. This benefits streamers as much as their followers, since their communities can thrive even when the streamer is offline. The public beta for the Twitch Desktop App begins on March 16 and will be available for download here: download.twitch.tv.
“Since the Twitch community thrives on building solid and meaningful connections with each other, we have been hard at work building products that address this need”
“Since the Twitch community thrives on building solid and meaningful connections with each other, we have been hard at work building products that address this need,” said Emmett Shear, CEO, Twitch. “The Twitch Desktop App--which features all of the elements people love about the Curse app, such as screen sharing, voice and video calling, and community server creation--is now bolstered by Twitch features. This includes Friends, Whispers, activity sharing, and will soon serve as a game library for purchases fulfilled by Twitch. The result is a one-stop shop for connecting members of our community.”
On March 16, existing Curse App users worldwide will receive a newly-branded Twitch Desktop App with the following features:
- Servers: A community’s home base -- complete with Twitch streams and chat.
- Friends: Easily connect with gaming friends from all across the internet.
- Whispers: Twitch’s private chat messaging works seamlessly between the Twitch platform and the Twitch Desktop App.
- Voice and Video Calls: World-class voice and video calls in one click.
- Addons: Powerful game addons and mods that automatically update.
- Game Commerce: Download games purchases fulfilled by Twitch when the sales program launches this spring.
- Activity Sharing: The ability to see when your friends are streaming, watching a stream or playing a game on both platforms.
For information about Twitch, visit the company blog, Twitter feed, Facebook page, and Press Center. For information about TwitchCon 2017, Twitch’s annual community celebration, visit www.TwitchCon.com.
Twitch is the world’s leading social video platform and community for gamers. Each day, millions of community members gather to watch, talk, and chat about shared interests. Twitch’s video platform is the backbone of both live and on-demand distribution for all types of content, including the entire video game ecosystem, the creative arts, vlogging (IRL), and more. Twitch also runs TwitchCon, the annual convention for celebrating the Twitch community. For more information about Twitch, visit our Press Center, Twitter feed (#Twitch), and Blog.