MIAMI--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Amerigroup Florida and Simply Healthcare Plans, leading providers of Florida Medicare and Medicaid managed care services, have contributed $102,000 in funding to sponsor community health programs across Florida in 2016. Additionally, the parent Foundation of Amerigroup and Simply Healthcare has activated more than $760,000 in health and wellness grants across the state in 2016. Funded programs have been designed to address complex health needs and raise awareness about statewide health issues, particularly obesity, chronic disease, prenatal care, cardiac arrest and critical illnesses. Sponsored programs and partnerships promoted the importance of health education, staying physically active, access to appropriate nutrition and making healthy lifestyle choices. These partnerships and programs included the following:
“Together, Amerigroup and Simply Healthcare stand committed to strengthening communities and improving health outcomes across our state”
- The Foundation provided two Triple Play Program grants in addition to a Miami Games Room renovation grant to Boys & Girls Clubs that made it possible for more than 297 Florida youth to participate in active lifestyle programs. These grants also helped enhanced programing to connect with more than 112,000 youth across Florida regions served by Amerigroup and Simply Healthcare.
- A grant to the American Heart Association progressed efforts to double the number of cardiac arrest survival rates by 2020 through Hands-Only CPR education and training. Foundation funding enabled the purchase and distribution of hundreds of CPR training kits. Additionally the Foundation brought a mobile tour through several cities in Florida that resulted in more than 2,500 Floridians being trained on how to perform lifesaving Hands-Only CPR.
- The March of Dimes received a Foundation grant to support smoking cessation efforts for pregnant women in the Tampa Bay Area through a partnership with Healthy Start Coalition. This support made it possible to reach more than 120 pregnant smokers and engage them in cessation activities.
- A grant to the Orange County Library System made it possible to reach more than 78,000 youth with health promotion messaging through the library system’s summer reading program. The support helped children become more aware of important health issues and engaged families. More than 90 percent of participating children’s parents and guardians said that they plan to spend more time interacting with their children and talking about health.
- The Foundation’s support of the American Red Cross’ Annual Disaster Giving Program helped provide health services and behavioral health assistance to Floridians impacted by crisis and disaster. Support was particularly extended to Floridians who were impacted by the mass shooting in Orlando and by Hurricane Matthew.
- The National Center for Victims of Crime also received a donation from the Foundation to help support victims and families impacted by the Orlando Pulse Night Club shooting. The local Florida health plans also stepped up to support victims and their families with an additional donation that matched their Foundation’s support.
- The Foundation partnered with the Foundation for New Education Initiatives to host Healthy Family Choices workshops in Miami Dade public schools. The Foundation’s support made it possible for students and their families to participate in various interactive activities, including healthy cooking and fitness demonstrations.
Health plan associates also raised approximately $107,000 for local charities and non-profits through personal donations and a company program that matches volunteer hours with dollars. In addition to the funds, Florida associates contributed approximately 1,350 hours of their personal time in 2016, volunteering to help residents and improve communities across Florida.
“Together, Amerigroup and Simply Healthcare stand committed to strengthening communities and improving health outcomes across our state,” said Lourdes Rivas, Amerigroup and Simply Healthcare Medicaid plan president. “We are proud of how our health plans, associates, Foundation and community partners have come together to help Floridians thrive, grow and prosper, and we are confident that our ongoing efforts will help achieve a healthier future for all of Florida.
More information can be found in the organization’s annual online Corporate Responsibility Report, which outlines the company’s commitment to making a difference in people’s lives through the work of its associates, the philanthropic efforts of the Foundation, its diversity and inclusion initiatives, and its environmentally responsible business practices.
ABOUT AMERIGROUP AND SIMPLY HEALTHCARE’S PARENT COMPANY FOUNDATION
Amerigroup and Simply Healthcare’s parent company Foundation is a wholly owned subsidiary of Anthem, Inc. Together, with local, regional and national organizations, the Foundation works to enhance the health and well-being of individuals and families in communities that Amerigroup, Simply Healthcare and its affiliated health plans serve. Foundation funding is focused on strategic initiatives working to address and provide innovative solutions to health care challenges, as well as promoting the Healthy Generations Program, a multi-generational initiative with five areas of focus: Healthy Heart, Cancer Prevention, Healthy Maternal Practices, Type 2 Diabetes Prevention, and Healthy Active Lifestyle. These disease states and medical conditions include: prenatal care in the first trimester, low birth weight babies, cardiac morbidity rates, long term activities that decrease obesity and increase physical activity, diabetes prevalence in adult populations, adult pneumococcal and influenza vaccinations and smoking cessation. The Foundation also coordinates the company’s year-round Associate Giving program which provides a 50 percent match of associates’ campaign pledges, as well as its Volunteer Time Off and Dollars for Doers community service programs. To learn more about the Foundation, please visit www.anthem.foundation.
About Amerigroup Florida and Simply Healthcare Plans
Amerigroup Florida and Simply Healthcare Plans are managed health care providers that serve Medicaid, Florida Healthy Kids, Long-Term Care (LTC) and Medicare program members in Florida. Through our Clear Health Alliance organization, we also serve Floridians who are eligible for HIV/AIDS Medicaid specialty health plan services. Together, we serve more than 600,000 Floridians. Across the nation, our family of health plans serves more than 40 million members, and 1 in 8 Americans is served by our family of companies. Our health plan members are assured care that is not only accessible, but also accountable, comprehensive, integrated and patient-centered. Each and every day, members of our team can be found in Florida communities, listening to our members, interacting with our health care providers and partnering with community-based organizations to execute health education initiatives. Our goal is to ensure members and entire communities are empowered to become active participants in their health care and sustain healthy lifestyles. To learn more about Amerigroup Florida, visit www.myamerigroup.com/FL. To learn more about Simply Healthcare Plans, visit www.simplyhealthcareplans.com.