BOULDER, Colo.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--A new white paper from Navigant Research analyzes five global trends for distributed natural gas (DNG) in 2017 and beyond, including the key determinants driving global investment and related opportunities.
“Mature technologies like generators are developing personality and becoming more interactive thanks to smarter controls, demand for resiliency, and a need to balance increasingly variable grids.”
Thanks to key developments in technology, new business models, and the changing regulatory environment, established DNG technologies are now being used in new applications. Access to cheap natural gas, demand for resilient onsite power, and improved controls offerings are improving the value proposition for customers, and regulators are recognizing the benefits of cleaner, dispatchable distributed generation as grids experience growing supply variability from intermittent renewables. Click to tweet: According to a new white paper from @NavigantRSRCH, despite its relative maturity, DNG-fueled generation is undergoing a transformation.
“As natural gas becomes more globally available, opportunities are growing for DNG generation,” says Adam Forni, senior research analyst with Navigant Research. “Mature technologies like generators are developing personality and becoming more interactive thanks to smarter controls, demand for resiliency, and a need to balance increasingly variable grids.”
According to the report, as macroeconomic, regulatory, and technological forces push the DNG industry into a new era, the following five trends are expected to be the most impactful in the next few years:
- Five years later, the Gold Age of Gas goes global
- To support renewables, gas will compete with storage—and often win
- DER software surge will unlock DNG revenue stacking in the Energy Cloud
- Stationary fuel cell vendors mending from a tough 2016 will look abroad
- Regulators will recognize the locational and fast-start benefits of DNG
The white paper, Distributed Natural Gas: Five Trends for 2017 and Beyond, analyzes five global trends for DNG in 2017 and beyond. The study examines the key determinants driving global investment in DNG and the related opportunities. Each of the topics in this white paper is examined more deeply in research reports and ongoing research from Navigant Research’s Distributed Natural Gas Research Service. An Executive Summary of the report is available for free download on the Navigant Research website.
About Navigant Research
Navigant Research, the dedicated research arm of Navigant, provides market research and benchmarking services for rapidly changing and often highly regulated industries. In the energy sector, Navigant Research focuses on in-depth analysis and reporting about global clean technology markets. The team’s research methodology combines supply-side industry analysis, end-user primary research and demand assessment, and deep examination of technology trends to provide a comprehensive view of the Energy Technologies, Utility Transformations, Transportation Efficiencies, and Buildings Innovations sectors. Additional information about Navigant Research can be found at www.navigantresearch.com.
Navigant Consulting, Inc. is a specialized, global professional services firm that helps clients take control of their future. Navigant’s professionals apply deep industry knowledge, substantive technical expertise, and an enterprising approach to help clients build, manage and/or protect their business interests. With a focus on markets and clients facing transformational change and significant regulatory or legal pressures, the Firm primarily serves clients in the healthcare, energy and financial services industries. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and technology/analytics services, Navigant’s practitioners bring sharp insight that pinpoints opportunities and delivers powerful results. More information about Navigant can be found at navigant.com.
* The information contained in this press release concerning the report, Distributed Natural Gas: Five Trends for 2017 and Beyond, is a summary and reflects Navigant Research’s current expectations based on market data and trend analysis. Market predictions and expectations are inherently uncertain and actual results may differ materially from those contained in this press release or the report. Please refer to the full report for a complete understanding of the assumptions underlying the report’s conclusions and the methodologies used to create the report. Neither Navigant Research nor Navigant undertakes any obligation to update any of the information contained in this press release or the report.