CINCINNATI--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield and the Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Foundation continued their long-standing traditions of volunteerism and philanthropy by working to improve health and strengthen Ohio communities in 2016.
“We’re partnering with organizations and agencies that are making a real difference in our communities.”
Through sponsorships, grants, volunteerism and charitable donations, the Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Foundation and associates directed nearly $2 million to Ohio communities through active grants and committed sponsorships. Anthem associates also volunteered 3,400 hours to events and causes throughout the Buckeye state.
“We have deep roots here in Ohio, and our commitment to our neighbors grows stronger each year,” said Erin Hoeflinger, president of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio. “We’re partnering with organizations and agencies that are making a real difference in our communities.”
Highlights of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio’s 2016 efforts include:
- Partnered with the American Heart Association to train 3,000 people in Hands-Only CPR at events in Toledo, Cincinnati, Columbus and Youngstown. Additionally, a self-training kiosk was placed at the Global Center for Innovation in downtown Cleveland.
- Funded three Don’t Quit! Fitness Centers at elementary schools in Cleveland, Youngstown and Toledo, through Anthem’s relationship with the National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils.
- Promoted active lifestyles to youth in Ohio communities through the Boys and Girls Clubs of America’s Triple Play program, and provided grants to seven Boys & Girls Clubs in Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton, Akron and Youngstown.
- Partnered with the Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired and the Cleveland Sight Center to implement national fitness challenges for blind and visually impaired individuals.
- Provided adaptive sports equipment to 60 Columbus-area youth with disabilities through partnership with Disabled Sports USA.
- Anthem associates volunteered 3,400 hours in 2016 to charitable causes, earning $50,000 in matching grants for those causes through Anthem’s Dollars for Doers program.
- Donated $422,000 to nonprofit organizations in Ohio through associate contributions and the Anthem Foundation match program.
“Our associates’ generosity makes me particularly proud,” said Hoeflinger. “Nothing could speak more clearly about this team’s commitment to the health and wellbeing of Ohio’s communities.”
Additional information is also available in the company’s annual Corporate Responsibility Report at www.anthemcorporateresponsibility.com.
About Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is the trade name of Community Insurance Company, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield names and symbols are registered marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Additional information about Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Ohio is available at www.anthem.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AnthemPR_OH, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AskAnthem, or visit our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/AskAnthem.
About Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Foundation
Through charitable grant making, the Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Foundation LLC, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, promotes Anthem’s inherent commitment to enhance the health and well-being of individuals and families in communities that Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield serves. The Foundation focuses its funding on strategic initiatives that address and provide innovative solutions to health care challenges, as well as promoting the Healthy Generations Program, a multi-generational initiative that targets specific disease states and medical conditions. These include: prenatal care in the first trimester, low birth weight babies, cardiac morbidity rates, long term activities that decrease obesity and increase physical activity, diabetes prevalence in adult populations, adult pneumococcal and influenza vaccinations and smoking cessation. The Foundation also coordinates the company’s Associate Giving program which provides a 50 percent match of associates’ campaign pledges, as well as its Volunteer Time Off and Dollars for Doers community service programs. ®ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield names and symbols are registered marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.