NEW YORK--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--E*TRADE Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: ETFC) today announced results from the most recent wave of StreetWise, E*TRADE’s quarterly tracking study of experienced investors. Results indicate that despite a year of significant volatility and major market events, the vast majority of investors are satisfied with their investment management.
“Further, while these investors are satisfied with the investing path they are on, they are ready to kick their management up a notch in 2017.”
Satisfaction aside, investors also identified their resolutions, and the results indicate that the top four resolutions are to:
1. Use online tools to check allocations. 42 percent of investors resolve to use online tools more regularly to make sure that they are properly diversified and meeting their goals.
2. Adjust asset allocations. Nearly 40 percent of investors expressed a desire to tweak their mix of assets to reflect changing market conditions.
3. Leverage educational resources. 35 percent of investors surveyed want to learn more about investing, trading, and the markets.
4. Increase retirement plan contributions. Remaining mindful of their long-term goals, 34 percent of investors want to allocate more to their retirement plan in 2017.
“In the work we do with investors, we see that satisfaction comes from having a plan and sticking to it. It was a turbulent ride to say the least in 2016, and the data suggests investors took short-term market fluctuations in stride,” said Lena Haas, SVP of Investing at E*TRADE Financial. “Further, while these investors are satisfied with the investing path they are on, they are ready to kick their management up a notch in 2017.”
Ms. Haas observed the following additional insights:
- Millennials are the most interested in learning more. Being relatively new to investing, this generation seems hungry to expand their knowledge, expressing a greater desire than Gen X and Boomers to learn more about investing, trading, and the markets.
- Millennials are also most focused on retirement saving. Nearly half of Millennial investors surveyed want to increase the amount they contribute to their retirement plan, considering their longer time horizons and the potential for compounding growth.
- Senior investors want to tweak their allocations. More than half of Boomers surveyed plan to make changes to their portfolio allocation in 2017. Since these investors are closing in on retirement, or may already be retired, they may feel their portfolios need to be adjusted to preserve income through tax-loss harvesting, align with post-employment goals, or reflect changes in their risk tolerance.
Visit E*TRADE’s Newsroom for the full Q4’16 StreetWise study results.
E*TRADE helps investors balance today’s needs with tomorrow’s goals, through pioneering digital tools coupled with guidance online and from financial consultants. To learn more about E*TRADE’s trading and investing platforms and tools, visit etrade.com.
For useful insight from E*TRADE and third-party investment professionals, follow the Company on Twitter, @ETRADE.
About the Survey
This wave of the survey was conducted from October 1 to October 10 of 2016 among an online U.S. sample of 954 self-directed active investors who manage at least $10,000 in an online brokerage account. The survey has a margin of error of ±3.18 percent at the 95 percent confidence level. It was fielded and administered by ResearchNow. The panel is broken into thirds of active (trade more than once a week), swing (trade less than once a week but more than once a month) and passive (trade less than once a month). The panel is 65 percent male and 35 percent female with an even distribution across online brokerages, geographic regions, and age bands.
|Looking back on 2016, are you satisfied with how you managed your investments?|
|Total Q4’16||AGE 25–34||AGE 35–54||AGE 55+|
|Top 2 Box||90%||90%||89%||90%|
|Bottom 2 Box||10%||10%||11%||10%|
In 2017, my financial resolution is? (Top 2)
|Total Q4’16||AGE 25–34||AGE 35–54||AGE 55+|
|Use online tools more often to make sure I am properly diversified and meeting my goals||42%||43%||39%||44%|
|Change my asset allocation to better reflect market conditions||39%||24%||40%||52%|
|Learn more about investing, trading, and the markets||35%||43%||30%||31%|
|Increase the amount I contribute to my retirement plan||34%||48%||42%||12%|
|Seek the help of investing professionals when I need it||26%||29%||26%||20%|
|Not make any changes to how I am investing||22%||13%||21%||36%|
“Millennials” defined as age 25–34 // “Gen X” defined as age 35–54 // “Baby Boomers” defined as age 55+
About E*TRADE Financial and Important Notices
E*TRADE Financial and its subsidiaries provide financial services, including online brokerage and banking products and services to retail customers. Specific business segments include Trading and Investing and Balance Sheet Management. Securities products and services, including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, options, and ETFs are offered by E*TRADE Securities LLC (Member FINRA/SIPC). Managed Account Solutions are offered through E*TRADE Capital Management, LLC, an investment adviser registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Bank products and services are offered by E*TRADE Bank, a Federal savings bank, Member FDIC, or its subsidiaries and affiliates. More information is available at www.etrade.com.
The information provided herein is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered investment advice. Past performance does not guarantee future results. ETFC-G
E*TRADE Financial, E*TRADE, and the E*TRADE logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of E*TRADE Financial Corporation.
© 2016 E*TRADE Financial Corporation. All rights reserved.
E*TRADE Financial Corporation and ResearchNow are separate companies that are not affiliated. E*TRADE Financial Corporation engages ResearchNow to program, field, and tabulate the study.
ResearchNow, a leading digital data collection provider, powers market research insights. They enable companies to listen to and interact with the world’s consumers and business professionals through online panels, as well as mobile, digital, and social media technologies. Their team operates in over 20 offices globally and is recognized as the market research industry’s leader in client satisfaction. They foster a socially-responsible culture by empowering their employees to give back. To find out more or begin a conversation, visit www.researchnow.com.