SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--The HPC Advisory Council (HPCAC), a leading organization for high-performance computing (HPC) research, outreach and education, and ISC High Performance, Europe’s premier HPC conference, today announced the 12 international teams selected to compete in the sixth annual ISC-HPCAC Student Cluster Competition at ISC 2017, held June 18-22, in Frankfurt, Germany.
“The competition is an opportunity to showcase the world’s brightest computer science students’ expertise in a friendly, yet spirited competition”
The roster of teams selected to compete includes:
- Universitat Politècnica De Catalunya Barcelona Tech (UPC), Catalonia/Spain
- A combined team of students from National University of Defense Technology (NUDT) and the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), China (winner of the SC16 Student Cluster Challenge)
- Universität Hamburg (UH), Germany
- Friedrich-Alexander-Universität (FAU) Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
- Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- A university team to be determined following a run-off competition via the Centre for High Performance Computing (CHPC), South Africa
- University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre (EPCC), United Kingdom
- A combined team of high school and undergraduate students sponsored by the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC), United States
- A combined team of students from Purdue University and Northeastern University, United States
- A combined team of students, ‘The Boston Green Team’ from Boston University, University of Massachusetts, Boston (UMass Boston); Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States
- Two additional university teams from China to be determined in a run-off competition via the Asia Student Cluster Competition (ASC) to be held in April 2017
In a real-time challenge, the students will build a small cluster of their own design on the exhibit floor and race to demonstrate the greatest performance across a series of benchmarks and applications. The completion will then conclude with a ceremony on the main conference keynote stage to award and recognize all student participants in front of thousands of HPC enthusiasts.
“The Student Cluster Competition is designed to foster the future generation of HPC professionals and scientists, to encourage HPC education, and to broaden the outreach of HPC technology and usage,” said Gilad Shainer, chairman of the HPC Advisory Council. “We are pleased with the worldwide mix of universities and students who are participating in the sixth annual competition. This exciting competition is an excellent educational opportunity for students to showcase their knowledge and skillsets, and to engage with the HPC community.”
“The competition is an opportunity to showcase the world’s brightest computer science students’ expertise in a friendly, yet spirited competition,” said Martin Meuer, managing director of the ISC Group. “We are very pleased to host these 12 compelling university teams from around the world. We look forward to this very engaging competition and wish the teams good luck.”
Team preparation prior to the competition includes working with supervisors and vendor partners to design and build a cluster from commercially available components without exceeding strict power limits, and to learn the predetermined HPC applications.
Advocate the future of HPC by sponsoring the ISC-HPCAC Student Cluster Competition
Commercial enterprises utilizing the power of HPC in their business are offered a unique opportunity to sponsor the SCC in a variety of ways. All sponsorship funds flow directly into the competition, enabling students to travel to Frankfurt and participate in the three-day competition in a comfortable environment.
For more information, sponsorship and general questions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Learn more about the ISC-HPCAC Student Cluster Competition
- Learn more about sponsoring the next generation of HPC talent
- Follow the HPC Advisory Council on Twitter and Facebook
About ISC Group
The ISC Group organizes ISC High Performance the world’s oldest and Europe’s premier conference and networking event for the international HPC community. The group’s portfolio includes the TOP500 site featuring the TOP500 List, which is updated twice a year and provides a well-accepted metric for the 500 most powerful computer systems in the world.
About ISC High Performance
Entering its 32nd year, the annual ISC High Performance conference series offer a comprehensive five-day technical symposium focusing on HPC and R&D disciplines, technological development and its application in scientific fields and adoption in commercial environments.
About the HPC Advisory Council
Founded in 2008, the non-profit HPC Advisory Council is an international organization with over 400 members committed to education and outreach. Members share expertise, lead special interest groups and have access to the HPCAC technology center to explore opportunities and evangelize the benefits of high performance computing technologies, applications and future development. The HPC Advisory Council hosts multiple international conferences and STEM challenges including the RDMA Student Competition in China and the Student Cluster Competition at the annual ISC High Performance conferences. Membership is free of charge and obligation. More information: www.hpcadvisorycouncil.com