MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(EON: Enhanced Online News)--IKEA, the world’s leading home furnishings retailer, today announced that when its Memphis store opens on December 14, it will recognize loyal, enthusiastic customers by giving away thousands of dollars in gift cards and merchandise – including an iconic EKTORP sofa for each of the first 43 adults in line, and a POANG armchair for the next 100. Other highlights include a free mattress for the first 43 adults on Thursday, December 15 and free monthly meatball meals for a year to the first 43 on Friday, December 16. Customers may begin lining up at 9 a.m. CST on Monday, December 12 – 48 hours before the store’s opening at 9 a.m. CST on Wednesday, December 14. Memphis City Council Chairman Kemp Conrad, Deputy Chief of Mission for the Swedish Embassy Göran Lithell, IKEA U.S. president Lars Petersson and store manager Trisha Bevering will officially open the store.
“Just as the IKEA store concept will introduce a new way of shopping for the home, we want customers waiting in line to visit our store to enjoy the unique experience too”
IKEA Memphis is the Swedish company’s first store and restaurant destination in Tennessee, 43rd in the United States, and 392nd worldwide. The 271,000 square-foot future IKEA Memphis store, with 800 parking spaces, was built on 35 acres in the Wolfchase corridor along the southwestern side of Interstate-40 near the Germantown Parkway exit. The store reflects the unique architectural design for which IKEA is known worldwide, and includes Tennessee’s largest rooftop solar array – consistent with the solar presence at 90% of U.S. IKEA locations – as well as three electric vehicle charging stations.
The December 14 ceremony also will include Shelby County Commissioner Willie Brooks raising the U.S. flag, the store’s Swedish coworker Johan Carlsson raising the Swedish flag and Memphis City Councilman Bill Morrison raising the state flag of Tennessee. Individual store coworkers will sing the respective American and Swedish national anthems, and “America the Beautiful” prior to the opening remarks. Entertainment for customers waiting in line will begin at 6 a.m. CST on opening day. “Just as the IKEA store concept will introduce a new way of shopping for the home, we want customers waiting in line to visit our store to enjoy the unique experience too,” said Trisha Bevering, IKEA Memphis store manager. Store visitors will have opportunities to enjoy benefits from the grand opening of IKEA Memphis, including:
Wednesday, December 14, 2016
- Rest Assured – The first 43 adults (18 & older) in IKEA Memphis on December 14, 2016 will receive a free EKTORP three-seat sofa, honoring the 43rd U.S. IKEA store.
- Take a Seat (And We Mean Take It!) – The next 100 adults (18 & older) in IKEA Memphis on December 14, 2016 will receive a free POÄNG armchair.
- For the (Truly) Young at Heart – The first 100 children (17 & younger) in IKEA Memphis on December 14, 2016 will receive a free FAMNIG heart-shaped soft toy.
- Pick a Card, Any Card – The first 2,500 adults (18 & older) in IKEA Memphis on December 14, 2016 will receive a random prize envelope with IKEA Gift Cards ranging from $10 to $250, or a “Buy One, Get One Free” cinnamon bun, hotdog or soft-serve frozen yogurt voucher.
- Happy Birthday to You and Us – The first 100 adults (18 & older) bringing proof to IKEA Memphis on December 14, 2016 their birthday is the same as the store’s will receive a gift card in the amount of $43, a tie-in corresponding to IKEA Memphis as the 43rd U.S. IKEA store.
- Enter our Home, Enter to Win – From December 14 through December 18, 2016, visitors to IKEA Memphis may enter a drawing to win one of ten $1,000 IKEA Gift Cards through the IKEA FAMILY loyalty program. IKEA is matching the prizes (a total of $10,000) with a donation of home furnishings to Hope House, a local organization that provides early childhood education in a safe, loving environment to children affected by HIV/AIDS.
Thursday, December 15, 2016
- Sleep Like Royalty – The first 43 adults (18 & older) in IKEA Memphis on Thursday, December 15, 2016 will receive a free queen-sized HAUGESUND mattress.
- Take it Easy – The next 100 adults (18 & older) in IKEA Memphis on Thursday, December 15, 2016 will receive free Zone 1 home delivery for purchases made that day.
Friday, December 16, 2016
- Meatballs for a Year – The first 43 adults (one per immediate family) in IKEA Memphis on Friday, December 16, 2016 will receive a voucher for a monthly meatball meal for a family of four at IKEA Memphis’ Restaurant through next year, expiring on Friday, December 15, 2017.
- It’s in the Bag! – The next 43 adults (18 & older) in IKEA Memphis on Friday, December 16, 2016 will receive freezer bags filled with five different Swedish meals, complete with beverages and desserts, from the store’s Swedish Food Market.
- A Cold Sweet-ish Treat – The first 100 children (17 & under) in IKEA Memphis on Friday, December 16, 2016 will receive a voucher for a soft-serve frozen yogurt available that day at IKEA Memphis’ Exit Bistro.
Wednesday, December 14 - Sunday, December 18, 2016
- Play Big If You’re Little – Balloon artists, entertainment and face-painting will enhance the family-friendly fun at IKEA Memphis from December 14 through December 18, 2016.
ADDITIONAL OFFERS AT IKEA MEMPHIS
IKEA Memphis is a fun day out for the family with:
- Småland, a supervised children’s play area (for children 37”-54” in height) that replicates the look of a typical Swedish farmhouse and forest;
- Additional play areas throughout the store, offering activities for kids shopping with parents;
- A “Children’s IKEA” area in the Showroom that also offers fun, interactive play; and
- Attention-to-detail amenities such as family-friendly parking, strollers and baby care rooms.
No shopping on an empty stomach at IKEA Memphis because:
- The IKEA Restaurant opens 30 minutes earlier than the store for a full hot breakfast, including scrambled eggs, potatoes and turkey sausage for only $1.00.
- The 250-seat restaurant also offers a diverse menu featuring lunch, dinner, snacks and dessert, including Swedish specialties such as the popular IKEA Swedish meatballs (as well as chicken or veggie versions), seafood plates, pasta, chicken, salads, sandwiches, and vegetarian dishes too.
- Menu choices for kids include a child’s portion of Swedish meatballs, chicken fingers or macaroni and cheese, while baby food and bibs are available for even younger visitors.
- The Swedish Food Market offers Swedish delicacies, snacks and treats, and frozen Swedish meatballs (the same ones available in the Restaurant) to purchase and then prepare at home.
- The Exit Bistro serves hot dogs, pizza, cinnamon buns, frozen yogurt, sundaes and beverages.
IKEA Memphis shopping conveniences include:
- Free design appointments with a furnishings consultant;
- IKEA catalogs, measuring tape, pencils, store maps, yellow shopping bags and 3 types of carts;
- Same-day shopping satisfaction with products in easy-to-transport flat-pack boxes that benefit the customer and the environment;
- 14 checkout lanes to ensure efficient customer purchasing;
- Warehouse picking, home-delivery, assembly, and kitchen planning and installation services; and
- 2017 IKEA Catalogs, focused on how food-related activities help bring people together through everyday life in and around the kitchen.
When IKEA Memphis opens, there will be 392 IKEA stores in 48 countries, including 43 in the U.S. Since its 1943 founding in Sweden, IKEA has offered home furnishings of good design and function at low prices so the majority of people can afford them. IKEA has been included in rankings of “Best Companies to Work For” and, as further investment in its coworkers, has raised its own minimum wage twice in two years. IKEA incorporates sustainability into day-to-day business and supports initiatives that benefit children and the environment. For more information see IKEA-USA.com, @IKEAUSA, @IKEAUSANews, or IKEAUSA on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest.